Verifying Sin2A = 2SinACosA with A=30deg

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses verifying the trigonometric identity sin2A = 2sinAcosA when A = 30 degrees. The conversation clarifies the use of the number 2 on both sides of the equation and suggests evaluating the expression to prove its truth.
Miike012

Homework Statement

If A= 30 deg.. verify that..
Sin2A = 2SinACosA
First off..On the left side where it says 2A... does that mean multiply 30deg by two? and on the right side does the two also mean multiply?

Anyways... since it is asking me to verify that they are equal... am i basically using the trig identities to prove that this statement is true by only working with one side and trying to make is look like the other side.?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Since this is a trig identity that is always true, I don't think they want you to use trig identities to show it. I think they just want you to calculate
sin(60 degrees) on the left hand side and 2*sin(30degrees)*cos(30degrees) on the right hand side and verify that they are equal.

Alright... So I was correct when they said multiply two by the deg on the left side? This is all new to me... So how would you calculate that they are equivalent?

It's quite simple. Evaluate sin 60°, sin 30°, and cos° 30 (using the knowledge of the 30°-60°-90° triangle) and plug into sin 60° = 2 sin 30° cos 30° to verify.

1. What is the purpose of verifying Sin2A = 2SinACosA with A=30deg?

The purpose of verifying this equation is to demonstrate the trigonometric identity that relates the sine of double an angle to the product of the sine and cosine of that angle. This identity is an important concept in trigonometry and is frequently used in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

2. How do you verify Sin2A = 2SinACosA with A=30deg?

To verify this equation, we can use the double angle formula for sine, which states that Sin2A = 2SinACosA. We then substitute A=30deg into the equation and solve for both sides. If both sides are equal, then the identity is verified.

3. What is the significance of A=30deg in this equation?

A=30deg is the angle being used in the equation to demonstrate the trigonometric identity. This angle is commonly used in trigonometric calculations and serves as an example to show that the identity holds true for specific values of A.

4. Can this equation be verified using other methods?

Yes, this equation can also be verified using the sum and difference formulas for sine and cosine. By expanding Sin2A and 2SinACosA using these formulas and simplifying the resulting equation, we can also show that both sides are equal.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation is used in various real-world applications, such as in physics and engineering, to calculate the relationships between different trigonometric functions. It is also used in geometry to solve problems involving triangles and other geometric shapes. Additionally, it is used in navigation and map-making to determine distances and angles.