Trig question

• Thread starter Saitama
  • Start date
Taking you through the sketch graphs.

A normal sine function is a bump beteen 0 and pi [180degrees if you like], then a dip under the axis between pi and 2xpi.
The absolute value of the sine function is just two bumps beside each other.

Please acknowlege you understand that.

I knew that. :smile:
And i know the graph of |cos x| too but i don't know to add |sin x|+|cos x|. :frown:

eumyang
Homework Helper
Oops sorry, that was my mistake too that i didn't noticed it. :redface:
So If |sin x| = 0, then |cos x|= 1 and |sin x|+|cos x|=1.
But what is the answer then? :confused:

If you look at the |sin x| values, as they go from 0 to 1,
the corresponding |cos x| values must go from 1 to 0.

Consider that |sin x| + |cos x| would reach the maximum if |sin x| EQUALED |cos x|. And you know the value of x that makes |sin x| = |cos x| true, don't you?

Last edited:
If you look at the |sin x| values, as they go from 0 to 1,
the corresponding |cos x| values must go from 1 to 0.

Consider that |sin x| + |cos x| would reach the maximum if |sin x| EQUALED |cos x|. And you know the value of x that makes |sin x| = |cos x| true, don't you?

Ya, i know. For |sin x|=|cos x|, x=(pi/4).
Right..?

PeterO
Homework Helper
I knew that. :smile:
And i know the graph of |cos x| too but i don't know to add |sin x|+|cos x|. :frown:

i am glad you know that - I thought you would.

As you know the graph of |cos x| , over the 0 to 2pi [0 to 360] range starts at 1, loops down to zero, just as the sine reaches it peak, loops back up to 1 just as the first sine loop drops to zero, then repeats.

To add the sketches together you draw a series of fine , faint, vertical lines across the sketch of the two graphs. The first is at x = 0, the last is at x = 2 x pi and you want about 12 to 16 of them evenly spaced.

You then measure/estimate how far above the axis the lower graph is, and mark a point that far above where the vertical cuts the upper graph. You then join the dots.

Importantly, you will see that when ever one graph has a zero value, the other one has a value of 1. In fact there is no point where both graphs are at zero, so when you add them you always get a total more than zero.
The answewr you want at the end, is the one that does NOT have a range starting at zero - option (d).

eumyang
Homework Helper
Right..?
Yes. Now find |sin x| + |cos x| if x = π/4.

PeterO
Homework Helper
Right..?

That is correct!!, and the maximum value the sum reaches at that point is Square root 2.

See my other answer as to why the minimum is 1 and the maximum shown here is root 2.

whoops - two overlapping responses too.

i am glad you know that - I thought you would.

As you know the graph of |cos x| , over the 0 to 2pi [0 to 360] range starts at 1, loops down to zero, just as the sine reaches it peak, loops back up to 1 just as the first sine loop drops to zero, then repeats.

To add the sketches together you draw a series of fine , faint, vertical lines across the sketch of the two graphs. The first is at x = 0, the last is at x = 2 x pi and you want about 12 to 16 of them evenly spaced.

You then measure/estimate how far above the axis the lower graph is, and mark a point that far above where the vertical cuts the upper graph. You then join the dots.

Importantly, you will see that when ever one graph has a zero value, the other one has a value of 1. In fact there is no point where both graphs are at zero, so when you add them you always get a total more than zero.
The answewr you want at the end, is the one that does NOT have a range starting at zero - option (d).

The same way is followed by my teacher but in the exam, graphs go out of my mind and i don't like adding them. Yet they are really helpful when finding out the number of solutions for a equation. :smile:

Yes. Now find |sin x| + |cos x| if x = π/4.
|sin x| + |cos x|=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] if x=pi/4.

eumyang
Homework Helper
Well, no thanks to PeterO, the answer was already out of the bag. Hopefully, that answer was the one you marked.

And I really shouldn't be posting late at night (it's 1:30am where I currently am) and a little drunk. :redface: Sorry for the mistakes earlier.

Well, no thanks to PeterO, the answer was already out of the bag. Hopefully, that answer was the one you marked.

And I really shouldn't be posting late at night (it's 1:30am where I currently am) and a little drunk. :redface: Sorry for the mistakes earlier.

Yes, i ticked the (d) option. :smile:

WTH!! You are still awake at 1:30am. Here it's 10:30PM.