Solving a Trigonometric Equation: Sec Theta

Taking the absolute value the range becomes [0,1].That is the separate range of each function, which you have to add together.Can they both be zero at the same time? can they both be 1 at the same time?You might need that sketch graph... :wink:Yes, they can both be zero at the same time, but they cannot both be 1 at the same time. So, the range will be [0,2].
Saitama

Homework Statement

This is a question from my test paper.

If sec [itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4xy}{(x+y)^2}[/itex], where x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R, then

(a)x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R+
(b)x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R-
(c)x=y[itex]\neq[/itex]0
(d)x[itex]\in[/itex]R+, y[itex]\in[/itex]R-

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what i have to do and where should i start with? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Pranav-Arora said:

Homework Statement

This is a question from my test paper.

If sec [itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{4xy}{(x+y)^2}[/itex], where x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R, then

(a)x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R+
(b)x,y [itex]\in[/itex] R-
(c)x=y[itex]\neq[/itex]0
(d)x[itex]\in[/itex]R+, y[itex]\in[/itex]R-

Remembering that sec a is by definition 1/(cos a),
then what values for x and y can you throw into that quotient term
and still yield a value that is a valid value for sec ? Do you need to
restrict the permissible values for x and/or y to a narrower domain than all Reals ?

NascentOxygen said:
Remembering that sec a is by definition 1/(cos a),
then what values for x and y can you throw into that quotient term
and still yield a value that is a valid value for sec ? Do you need to
restrict the permissible values for x and/or y to a narrower domain than all Reals ?

What i did is [itex]cos \theta=\frac{(x+y)^2}{4xy}[/itex].
I substituted different values according to the given conditions in my equation.
I found my answer to be (c) option. Is that correct?
But what should be the correct method to find out the answer? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
I substituted different values according to the given conditions in my equation.

What's wrong with guess-and-check as a method? All you need is one example that would make an answer choice wrong.

In any event, you could try using the definition sec θ = R/X in the Cartesian plane (I'm using capital letters to distinguish from the lower case x and y that you already used), and that R2 = X2 + Y2. Find Y, and then look at the answer choices again to see what must hold.

eumyang said:
What's wrong with guess-and-check as a method? All you need is one example that would make an answer choice wrong.

In any event, you could try using the definition sec θ = R/X in the Cartesian plane (I'm using capital letters to distinguish from the lower case x and y that you already used), and that R2 = X2 + Y2. Find Y, and then look at the answer choices again to see what must hold.

What's this "R"? :confused:

Pranav-Arora said:
What's this "R"? :confused:
"R" stands for radius. See the attached diagram, and the website below (look under the heading "TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS").
http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/trig_ident/index.asp"

Attachments

• trig_cart.jpg
    trig_cart.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 374
Last edited by a moderator:
eumyang said:
See the attached diagram, and the website below (look under the heading "TRIGONOMETRIC FUNCTIONS").
http://www.mathacademy.com/pr/prime/articles/trig_ident/index.asp"

Ok, i got it, thanks! :smile:

I have one more question.
If f(x)=|sin x|+|cos x|, x[itex]\in[/itex]R, then
(a)f(x)[itex]\in[/itex][0,2]
(b)f(x)[itex]\in[/itex][0,[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]]
(c)f(x)[itex]\in[/itex][0,1]
(d)f(x)[itex]\in[/itex][1,[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex]]

How should i start with in this question? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Pranav-Arora said:

I like that you have identified that it is unsuitable for both x and y to be 0, but if x and y are alternately positive or negative real numbers, then the possibility of them both being zero is still excluded.

Think about the maximum and minimum value the cosine function can have, and the significance that would have to the relative sizes of the numerator and denominator of the fraction you have.

Pranav-Arora said:

Start by finding the range of sin x and cos x. In other words, what are all the possible values of y in y = sin x, and what are all the possible values of y in y = cos x?

Pranav-Arora said:

Perhaps a sketch graph may help? [use adding ordinates if necessary]

eumyang said:
Start by finding the range of sin x and cos x. In other words, what are all the possible values of y in y = sin x, and what are all the possible values of y in y = cos x?

Range of sin x and cos x is [-1,1].
What next?

Pranav-Arora said:
Range of sin x and cos x is [-1,1].
What next?
Well, what happens when you take the absolute value of any number between -1 and 1 inclusive? What does the range become?

eumyang said:
Well, what happens when you take the absolute value of any number between -1 and 1 inclusive? What does the range become?

Taking the absolute value the range becomes [0,1].

Pranav-Arora said:
Okay, so the range of |sin x| is [0, 1], and the range of |cos x| is [0, 1]. What would be the range of f(x)=|sin x| + |cos x|, then?

Pranav-Arora said:

That is the separate range of each function, which you have to add together.

Can they both be zero at the same time? can they both be 1 at the same time?

You might need that sketch graph now.

eumyang said:
Okay, so the range of |sin x| is [0, 1], and the range of |cos x| is [0, 1]. What would be the range of f(x)=|sin x| + |cos x|, then?

That only i don't know. I don't understand how to do that? :confused:

EDIT: Big mistake...

Last edited:
eumyang said:
It just requires some thinking. You need to add some number (between 0 and 1 inclusive) to another number (between 0 and 1 inclusive). You are looking for the range of numbers that encompasses all of the possible sums.

If |sin x| = 0 and |cos x| = 0, then
|sin x| + |cos x| = ? Wouldn't that number be in the range of f(x)? Try choosing different values of |sin x| and |cos x| and see if you can't come up with the range of f(x).

I add the max and min values of the range of sin x and cos x.
If |sin x| = 0 and |cos x| = 0, then
|sin x| + |cos x| = 0.
If |sin x| = 1 and |cos x| = 1, then
|sin x| + |cos x| = 2

Is the answer (a) option?

EDIT: Another big mistake...

Last edited:
pranav-arora said:
that only i don't know. I don't understand how to do that? :confused:

sketch graph! the answer is not (a)

eumyang said:
Yes. Just know that looking at the max and min values for each interval isn't always going to work.

Oops, i ticked the wrong answer in my exam! :redface:

PeterO said:
sketch graph

I won't be able to sketch the graph correctly and i am not that comfortable in adding graphs.

Pranav-Arora said:

I won't be able to sketch the graph correctly and i am not that comfortable in adding graphs.

The sketch graph for the sine partial and the cosine partial is just a series of off-set bumps [it would be great if you could draw real sine curves, but even if each bump looks like an inverted parabola will show you. heck, even a bunch of half circles like tracing round a dime].

Pranav-Arora said:
Maybe not. I have looked over this problem again and I had misguided you all this time.

Previously, I had asked,
if |sin x| = 0 and |cos x| = 0, then what is |sin x| + |cos x|?

Well, it's not possible for both to equal 0 at the same time, isn't it?

If |sin x| = 0, then |cos x| must equal 1. And if |cos x| = 0 then |sin x| must equal 1. Then the minimum value for |sin x| + |cos x| is not 0, is it?

eumyang said:
Maybe not. I have looked over this problem again and I had misguided you all this time.

Previously, I had asked,
if |sin x| = 0 and |cos x| = 0, then what is |sin x| + |cos x|?

Well, it's not possible for both to equal 0 at the same time, isn't it?

If |sin x| = 0, then |cos x| must equal 1. And if |cos x| = 0 then |sin x| must equal 1. Then the minimum value for |sin x| + |cos x| is not 0, is it?

Oops sorry, that was my mistake too that i didn't noticed it. :redface:
So If |sin x| = 0, then |cos x|= 1 and |sin x|+|cos x|=1.
But what is the answer then? :confused:

Taking you through the sketch graphs.

A normal sine function is a bump beteen 0 and pi [180degrees if you like], then a dip under the axis between pi and 2xpi.
The absolute value of the sine function is just two bumps beside each other.

Please acknowlege you understand that.

PeterO said:
Taking you through the sketch graphs.

A normal sine function is a bump beteen 0 and pi [180degrees if you like], then a dip under the axis between pi and 2xpi.
The absolute value of the sine function is just two bumps beside each other.

Please acknowlege you understand that.

I knew that. :smile:
And i know the graph of |cos x| too but i don't know to add |sin x|+|cos x|. :frown:

Pranav-Arora said:
Oops sorry, that was my mistake too that i didn't noticed it. :redface:
So If |sin x| = 0, then |cos x|= 1 and |sin x|+|cos x|=1.
But what is the answer then? :confused:

If you look at the |sin x| values, as they go from 0 to 1,
the corresponding |cos x| values must go from 1 to 0.

Consider that |sin x| + |cos x| would reach the maximum if |sin x| EQUALED |cos x|. And you know the value of x that makes |sin x| = |cos x| true, don't you?

Last edited:
eumyang said:
If you look at the |sin x| values, as they go from 0 to 1,
the corresponding |cos x| values must go from 1 to 0.

Consider that |sin x| + |cos x| would reach the maximum if |sin x| EQUALED |cos x|. And you know the value of x that makes |sin x| = |cos x| true, don't you?

Ya, i know. For |sin x|=|cos x|, x=(pi/4).
Right..?

Pranav-Arora said:
I knew that. :smile:
And i know the graph of |cos x| too but i don't know to add |sin x|+|cos x|. :frown:

i am glad you know that - I thought you would.

As you know the graph of |cos x| , over the 0 to 2pi [0 to 360] range starts at 1, loops down to zero, just as the sine reaches it peak, loops back up to 1 just as the first sine loop drops to zero, then repeats.

To add the sketches together you draw a series of fine , faint, vertical lines across the sketch of the two graphs. The first is at x = 0, the last is at x = 2 x pi and you want about 12 to 16 of them evenly spaced.

You then measure/estimate how far above the axis the lower graph is, and mark a point that far above where the vertical cuts the upper graph. You then join the dots.

Importantly, you will see that when ever one graph has a zero value, the other one has a value of 1. In fact there is no point where both graphs are at zero, so when you add them you always get a total more than zero.
The answewr you want at the end, is the one that does NOT have a range starting at zero - option (d).

Pranav-Arora said:
Right..?
Yes. Now find |sin x| + |cos x| if x = π/4.

Pranav-Arora said:
Right..?

That is correct!, and the maximum value the sum reaches at that point is Square root 2.

See my other answer as to why the minimum is 1 and the maximum shown here is root 2.

whoops - two overlapping responses too.

PeterO said:
i am glad you know that - I thought you would.

As you know the graph of |cos x| , over the 0 to 2pi [0 to 360] range starts at 1, loops down to zero, just as the sine reaches it peak, loops back up to 1 just as the first sine loop drops to zero, then repeats.

To add the sketches together you draw a series of fine , faint, vertical lines across the sketch of the two graphs. The first is at x = 0, the last is at x = 2 x pi and you want about 12 to 16 of them evenly spaced.

You then measure/estimate how far above the axis the lower graph is, and mark a point that far above where the vertical cuts the upper graph. You then join the dots.

Importantly, you will see that when ever one graph has a zero value, the other one has a value of 1. In fact there is no point where both graphs are at zero, so when you add them you always get a total more than zero.
The answewr you want at the end, is the one that does NOT have a range starting at zero - option (d).

The same way is followed by my teacher but in the exam, graphs go out of my mind and i don't like adding them. Yet they are really helpful when finding out the number of solutions for a equation. :smile:

eumyang said:
Yes. Now find |sin x| + |cos x| if x = π/4.
|sin x| + |cos x|=[itex]\sqrt{2}[/itex] if x=pi/4.

Well, no thanks to PeterO, the answer was already out of the bag. Hopefully, that answer was the one you marked.

And I really shouldn't be posting late at night (it's 1:30am where I currently am) and a little drunk. :redface: Sorry for the mistakes earlier.

eumyang said:
Well, no thanks to PeterO, the answer was already out of the bag. Hopefully, that answer was the one you marked.

And I really shouldn't be posting late at night (it's 1:30am where I currently am) and a little drunk. :redface: Sorry for the mistakes earlier.

Yes, i ticked the (d) option. :smile:

WTH! You are still awake at 1:30am. Here it's 10:30PM.

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, tangent, secant, cosecant, and cotangent. These functions represent the relationship between the angles and sides of a right triangle.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must use algebraic methods to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation. Then, you can use inverse trigonometric functions or special triangles to find the value of the angle.

3. What is secant (sec) in trigonometry?

Secant (sec) is a trigonometric function that represents the ratio of the hypotenuse to the adjacent side of a right triangle. It is the reciprocal of cosine (cos) and is equal to 1 divided by cosine.

4. How do you find the value of secant (sec) theta?

To find the value of secant (sec) theta, you can use a calculator or look up the value on a trigonometric table. Alternatively, you can use the relationship between secant and cosine, where secant is equal to 1 divided by cosine.

5. Can a trigonometric equation have multiple solutions?

Yes, a trigonometric equation can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat their values after a certain interval. Therefore, there can be more than one angle that satisfies the equation.