1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Question

1. Mar 11, 2005 #1
    sin3x=1/2

how would i go about solving this problem? and there should be 6 solutions right, how do i get them? thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2005 #2
    The answer is x = pi/18 but I don't know how to really get it. I just thought what sin x = 1/2 (x = pi/6) and since its sin 3x, then its that /3 (pi/18).

4. Mar 11, 2005 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's six solutions because:

a) there's two angles between 0 and [tex]2 \pi[/tex] that have a sine of 1/2

b) you have 3x equals one of those two angles. In other words, for each of the angles that have a sine of 1/2, there's three angles between 0 and [tex]2 \pi[/tex] that, if multiplied by 3, would wind up at the same spot on the unit circle.

Example: [tex]\frac{13 \pi}{18} * 3 = \frac{13 \pi}{6}[/tex] which is the same spot on the unit circle as [tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex]

Find each of the angles that have a sine of 1/2

Divide them by 3.

Add [tex]2 \pi[/tex] to the original angles, then divide by 3 again.

Add [tex]4 \pi[/tex] to the original angles, then divide by 3 again.

All three should lie between 0 and 2 pi.

If you added [tex]6 \pi[/tex] to the original angles and divided by 3, you would find that your answer was greater than [tex]2 \pi[/tex] (should be obvious, since [tex]6 \pi[/tex] divided by 3 is [tex]2 \pi[/tex]).

Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  5. Mar 11, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \sin 3x=\sin \ (x+2x)=\sin x \ (\cos^{2}x-\sin^{2}x)+\cos x \ (2\sin x\cos x)=...=-4\sin^{3}x+3\sin x [/tex]...

The u have to solve a cubic,assuming:
    [tex] \sin x=u [/tex]

[tex] -4u^{3}+3u-\frac{1}{2}=0 [/tex]...

Daniel.

6. Mar 11, 2005 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Wow! That's an interesting solution. Are you solving the same problem he's asking? (He never did actually state what he was solving for. I just kind of assumed he was trying to solve for x.)

Edit: But, your solution does give the sine of x. A point worth noting, since most people only memorize the basic angles. If you want the sine of pi/18, you would have to multiply your angle by 3 to get an angle you did know the sine of and then solve for sine x the way dex did.

7. Mar 11, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Bob,you're not funny.

Daniel.

8. Mar 12, 2005 #7
    didn't have a chance to try anything yet (thanks so much for the help!), but its solving for x, and therefore all the possible angles

9. Mar 12, 2005 #8
    thanks, i think i got that one. now for cox3x=1/2, this is what i did (is it right?)
    ok, so i put 3x = pi/3, 5pi/3. then divide each by 3 to get
    x=pi/9, 5pi/9
    add 2pi/3 and 4pi/3

for the solutions i get (Π is pi)
    x=Π/9, 5Π/9, 7Π/9, 11Π/9, 13Π/9, 17Π/9

are these correct for the 6 solutions?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  10. Mar 12, 2005 #9

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That is INCOMPATIBLE with the calcuations that u made...

Daniel.

11. Mar 12, 2005 #10
    you have 2x this time. using 3x will not help you.

12. Mar 12, 2005 #11
    sorry, it was actually cos3x=1/2. can anyone confirm those solutions?

13. Mar 12, 2005 #12
    [tex]\cos{3x} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]

So...
    remember that cos is positive in first and fourth quadrant...

[tex]
    3x = \frac{\pi}{3}, -\frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{5\pi}{3} ....
    [/tex]

[tex]
    x = \frac{\pi}{9}, -\frac{\pi}{9}, \frac{5\pi}{9} ....
    [/tex]

Is there a restriction on the angles?? Because you can just keep on adding two pi onto them and it will be a valid answer.

14. Mar 12, 2005 #13
    0 ≤ x < 2pi
    is the restriction

(and you keep adding 2pi/3, or the period, right?)

15. Mar 12, 2005 #14
    Oopps, this is supposed to be the answers:

[tex]
    3x = \frac{\pi}{3}, \frac{5\pi}{3} , \frac{7\pi}{3} , \frac{11\pi}{3} , \frac{13\pi}{3}, \frac{17\pi}{3}, \frac{19\pi}{3} ... [/tex]

Because the its in the 1st quadrant and the 4th quadrant, it is pi/3 and 5pi/3, because it is in a circle, you can just keep adding 2pi (360 degrees) to pi/3 or 5pi/3... but when you divide by 3, it has to be within 0 < x < 2pi

remember that the cos function has a period of 2pi, so it's a repeating cycle -- think of the cos graphs.

so... u divide each answer by 3...

[tex]
    x = \frac{\pi}{9}, \frac{5\pi}{9} , \frac{7\pi}{9} , \frac{11\pi}{9} , \frac{13\pi}{9}, \frac{17\pi}{9}
    [/tex]

As you can see, I didnt include 19pi/9 as an answer because it is outside the domain.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2005
  16. Mar 12, 2005 #15

Curious3141

Homework Helper

The thing to remember is that for trig equations, there are potentially an *infinite* number of solutions. This is because trig functions are periodic.

So you must always specify the range you're looking for solutions in. This is usually [tex]0 \leq x < 2\pi[/tex] but not always. So this must be specified.

Assuming that's the range we're going to use, this is the simplest way to solve it :

Think about what angles have sines of half. For sine to be positive, the angle can be in the 1st and 2nd quadrants, so you have [tex]\frac{\pi}{6}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{5\pi}{6}[/tex]. Those are two possible values for 3x, correct ?

Since you're going to be dividing those by 3 to get x, you should take more values for 3x if you want to get all the values in the required range. Since you know [tex]\sin \theta = \sin{(\theta + 2k\pi)}[/tex], where k is an integer, just add [tex]2\pi[/tex] and [tex]4\pi[/tex] to the above values to get all the possible values of 3x.

So you have :

[tex]3x = \frac{\pi}{6}, \frac{5\pi}{6}, (\frac{\pi}{6} + 2\pi), (\frac{5\pi}{6} + 2\pi), (\frac{\pi}{6} + 4\pi), (\frac{5\pi}{6} + 4\pi)[/tex]

and dividing by 3 and simplifying, you get the required solutions in radians within the required range.

17. Mar 13, 2005 #16
    ok, thanks to everyone, i got the answers (which i probably could've done) but more importantly know how to do it and why it works. thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?