1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig question

1. Oct 17, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

my book shows:

(-1/(1-((b+acosx)/(a+bcosx))^2)^1/2) * ((a+bcosx)(-asinx)-(b+acosx)(-bsinx))/(a+bcosx)^2

=
    (a^2+b^2cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2cos^2(x))^(-1/2)
    ((a^2-b^2)sinx/(| a+bcosx |))

I'm having a hard time understanding how they did this.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2016 #2

FactChecker

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Please proof read your equation. I see a variable c on the left side and a variable A on the right that is not matched on the other side. What are they?

4. Oct 17, 2016 #3
    Edited. Thanks for the heads up, "c" was a typo

5. Oct 18, 2016 #4
    It's really hard to read your equation. Do you know how to use LaTeX? There's a tutorial here: https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/
    But in the meantime, is this what you meant?

##\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}} \frac{(a+b\cos(x))(-a\sin(x))-(b+a\cos(x))(-b\sin(x))}{(a+b\cos(x))^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2\cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2\cos^2(x)}} \frac{(a^2-b^2)\sin(x)}{|a+b\cos(x)|} ##

Admittedly that's quite tricky to format, brackets don't enclose the fraction and that type of thing, someone might have suggestions on how to improve on it.

6. Oct 18, 2016 #5
    Thanks!

Actually this is what I meant. I copy and pasted and edited your latex script.
    Mod note: Changed from inline tex (## tags)to standalone tex ($$ tags) to make everything larger and easier to read.
    $$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}} \frac{(a+b\cos(x))(-a\sin(x))-(b+a\cos(x))(-b\sin(x))}{(a+b\cos(x))^2} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{a^2+b^2\cos^2(x)-b^2-a^2\cos(x)^2}} \frac{(a^2-b^2)sin(x)}{|a+bcos(x)|} $$

Actually we have the same equation despite my edits haha. It just wasn't displaying correctly with my phone being vertical.

Anyway, that's what I need help with.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 18, 2016
  7. Oct 18, 2016 #6

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I would start with the left side to see if I end up with what's on the right. For starters, combine the two terms in the radical, and rewrite that whole factor in the form ##\frac{\sqrt{\text{something}}}{\sqrt{\text{something else}}}##.
    Next expand the products in the numerator of the 2nd factor -- some of the terms will probably drop out.

8. Oct 18, 2016 #7
    $$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}\cdot \frac{-a^{2}sinx+b^{2}sinx}{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}$$

That's where I am. Obviously I can factor the a^2 and b^2 and the sin on the right numerator but uh... stuck.

Oh, and this handy little tool for latex previews: https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

9. Oct 18, 2016 #8

Mark44

There'a a preview button here on the lower right.

How did you get this?
    $$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}$$
    You don't show the intermediate steps, but it looks like you did something like this: ##\sqrt{1 + x} = \sqrt{1} +\sqrt{x}##, which is incorrect.

In my previous post I said this:
    In case I wasn't clear, I was talking about the radical in the denominator of the first factor on the left side.

10. Oct 18, 2016 #9
    That's just a typo. The entire fraction is meant to be under a square root.

11. Oct 18, 2016 #10

Mark44

Your answer here doesn't make sense to me.
    Here's part of the left side, from post #5
    $$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1-(\frac{b+a\cos(x)}{a+b\cos(x)})^2}}$$

In post #7 you show this (again only showing part of the left side):
    $$\frac{-1}{{1-}\frac{\sqrt{b^{2}+2abcosx+a^{2}cos^{2}x}}{\sqrt{a^{2}+2abcosx+b^{2}cos^{2}x}}}$$

Is this what you really meant to write?
    $$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{\text{stuff}}{\text{other stuff}}}}$$

If so, what I said before was this -- inside that radical combine the 1 and the fraction into a single fraction. Don't keep it as a difference of two terms.

12. Oct 18, 2016 #11
    Yes that is what I wanted to write. Everything under the square root all at once.

13. Oct 18, 2016 #12
    IMG_2104.JPG Any help?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  14. Oct 18, 2016 #13

Mark44

What do you call this?

15. Oct 18, 2016 #14
    See the attached photo for my issue.

16. Oct 18, 2016 #15

Mark44

The fourth line up from the bottom looks OK, although there's no good reason to expand the ##(a + b\cos(x))^2## part in the denominator inside the radical.

You have a mistake in the third line up from the bottom. I didn't look at the other factor on the left side.

Also, you have something like this: $$\frac{-1}{\sqrt{\frac{xxx}{yyy}}}$$
    This part could be simplified to this:
    $$-\sqrt{\frac{yyy}{xxx}}$$

17. Oct 19, 2016 #16

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You don't need to expand so much stuff .

Consider: ##\ (a+b\cos(x))^2-(b+a\cos(x))^2 \ ##

That's a difference of squares thus: ##\ (a+b\cos(x)-(b+a\cos(x))\,)(a+b\cos(x)+b+a\cos(x)) \ ## .

With some rearranging: ##\ ((a-b) - (a-b)\cos(x))((a+b)+(a+b)\cos(x)) \ ##

##((a-b) (1-\cos(x))((a+b)(1+\cos(x)) \ ## and so forth.

18. Oct 19, 2016 #17

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In this case one gets a much simpler final answer by NOT using ##A^2-B^2 = (A-B)(A+B)##, but, instead, just expanding out ##A^2 =(a+b\,\cos x)^2## and ##B^2 = (b+a\,\cos x)^2## and cancelling some things.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted