1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig quick question

1. Aug 21, 2012 #1
    Solve for values of θ in the interval 0 ≤ θ ≤ 360,

2sinθ = cosecθ

now if I do:

2sinθ = 1/(sinθ) and multiply by sinθ

I can solve sinθ = ±√(1/2)

but if I solve 2sinθ - 1/(sinθ) = 0 and factorise to get sinθ(2 - (1/sin^2θ)) = 0

I get sinθ = 0 which gives me more solutions then needed. I've drawn the graphs of both functions and they meet where the solutions of θ are such that sinθ = ±√(1/2) , then why do I get more solutions if I factorise?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2012 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Because at [itex]\sin\theta=0[/itex] the other factor is undefined.

Think about the function [tex]y=\frac{x(x+1)}{x}[/tex] this is pretty much equivalent to [itex]y=x+1[/itex] except for the fact that it has a hole at x=0 (the coordinate (0,1)). If we solved this equation for when y=0, clearly the only answer is x=-1, but if we factored out x then what we'd have is:

[tex]x\left(\frac{x+1}{x}\right)=0[/tex]

Which seems like it would have an x=0 solution, but it doesn't by the same reasoning.

4. Aug 21, 2012 #3
    I see, thanks.

But why does this happen? Is there a particular reason or just one of those things.

5. Aug 21, 2012 #4

Mentallic

Homework Helper

It happens because when we use the rule that if [itex]ab=0[/itex] then either a, b or both are equal to zero, we are assuming that a and b are real numbers. Undefined numbers and infinite are not real.

Without using any rigor, if we use an undefined number like 1/0 such that a=0 and b=1/0, then ab=1 (again, I'm abusing the maths here just to explain a point, don't take it as being correct). As you can see while we solved for a=0, it turns out that ab didn't turn out to be equal to zero, hence we cannot take a=0 because it is not a solution.

6. Aug 21, 2012 #5
    thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook