Can Trig Ratios Solve for Theta in a Physics Homework Problem?

In summary, the problem involves finding a value for θ in the equation sinθ-0.4cosθ=0.1274. This can be solved by using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulations, or by dividing through by a common factor to obtain coefficients for the sine and cosine of a new angle, φ.
thejosh

Homework Statement

Sino - ucos o =x

Homework Equations

N.A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am asking if it's possible to make theta(o) the subject of formula in relation to some physics homework which I narrowed down to this but I don't know how to solve for theta, x is a known value but it's long so to make it easier I used a symbol and u is also a known value , in my attempt to make o the subject of formula I factorised out o only to find out cos and sin don"t work without a definite value, any suggestions.If it's not possible I may then post the full problem for guidance.Your help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
thejosh said:
Sino - ucos o =x
sinθ-ucosθ=x.
You can add greek letters in the post. Click on the '∑' symbol in the options above the typing space.

What are the values of u and x? It is possible to solve for θ with some trig and algebraic manipulations. Please post the full problem.

If I understand correctly, you have:

##\sin(\theta)-u\cos(\theta)=x##

Using a linear combination identity, you may write:

##\sqrt{u^2+1}\sin\left(\theta-\arctan(u)\right)=x##

Can you proceed?

That will take some lessons, it's way over my head to be honest but if you could direct me to a plausible learning site I would be happy to learn that , is it calculus?

@cnh1995 I think I was ok until I got to the final equation which is what I posted, the whole question requires pictures which may not be very clear because of their size but besides that I just wanted to knowhow to do the last equation and solve for Θ.Nevertheless I will try post the whole question hopefully within 2 days (school is a savage time consumer) oh and u is 0.4 whilst x is 0.127420999

thejosh said:
oh and u is 0.4 whilst x is
Ok. If you only want to know how to find θ, you don't need to post the whole question.

So,
sinθ-0.4cosθ=0.1274.
∴sinθ+0.1274=0.4cosθ.

Use cosθ=√(1-sin2θ) and square both the sides. You'll get a quadratic equation in sinθ. Solve for sinθ and get θ.

Another method.
Given Acos(θ)+Bsin(θ)=C, divide through by D=√(A2+B2). The coefficients of the trig functions, A/D and B/D, are then the sine and cosine of some angle φ. Can you solve sin(φ)cos(θ)+cos(φ)sin(θ)=C/D?

1. What is a trig ratio?

A trigonometric ratio, or trig ratio, is a mathematical relationship between the sides of a right triangle and its angles. There are three main trig ratios: sine (sin), cosine (cos), and tangent (tan).

2. How do you solve for theta in a trig ratio?

To solve for theta, you need to use the inverse trigonometric functions. For example, if you have the equation sin(theta) = 0.5, you would use the inverse sine function (sin^-1) to find the value of theta. In this case, theta would equal 30 degrees or pi/6 radians.

3. Can you use a calculator to solve for theta?

Yes, you can use a scientific or graphing calculator to solve for theta in a trig ratio. Most calculators have the inverse trigonometric functions (sin^-1, cos^-1, tan^-1) as well as the regular trig functions (sin, cos, tan) which can be used to solve for theta.

4. What if there is no triangle given in the problem?

In order to solve for theta in a trig ratio, a right triangle must be present. If a triangle is not given in the problem, you can draw one yourself or use the Pythagorean theorem to determine the missing side lengths. From there, you can use the trig ratio to solve for theta.

5. What if there is more than one possible solution for theta?

In some cases, a trig ratio may have multiple solutions for theta. This can occur when the equation has both positive and negative values for the trig function. In these cases, you will need to consider the given context of the problem to determine which solution is the most appropriate.