Solving Trig Sub w/ Different Answer: Need Check

• Thread starter Sheneron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
But since you already figured it out, I'll give you another hint. Put c=cos(theta), so that -sin(theta)dtheta=dc. Then you have an integral in terms of c, which you can do with partial fractions.In summary, the conversation involves a person trying to integrate the expression \int \frac{\sqrt{9-x^2}}{x} dx using a trigonometric substitution. After making some mistakes and receiving hints, the person is able to correctly integrate the expression and solve the problem. The conversation also mentions the use of Mathematica to check the answer and the use of numerical approximation to compare different solutions.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9-x^2}}{x} dx [/tex]

So:
[tex]x = 3Sin(\Theta)[/tex]
[tex]dx = 3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta[/tex]

Rewritten:
[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9 - (3Sin(\Theta))^2}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9(1-Sin(\Theta)^2)}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{3Cos(\Theta)^2}{Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

When I check this with mathematica (replacing sin and cos with something in terms of x) it doesn't match. Its a different answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I will fix that latex in a few minutes, physics forums is not working well.

Ok there we go... Yes, when I integrate the initial equation in mathematica I get an answer that does not equal when I integrate at the last step I have done. And I rewrite it back in terms of x dx so that is not it. Did I do something wrong?

Your derivation looks right to me.

Hmm, according to mathematica I am off exactly by a factor of 3?

Can you say what you got and what mathematica got?

Integrating at the very beginning equation mathematica gave me:

[tex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}}[/tex]

and when I integrate my step I get:[tex] 3*( \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}} )[/tex]

I am also stuck at my last step, what would be a good way of integrating that?

-but I don't know if that's right seeing how my answer doesn't match with mathematica.

How about an approximate numerical check, which will tell you who's off by a factor of 3?

Your integrand varies wildly near x=0 and x=3, so stay away from those values. Try approximating the integral (over x) from 0.99 to 1.01, just treating the integrand as a constant evaluated at x=1. What does that give for the integral? Compare it to your final answer, and to the mathematica answer.

Oh crap I am sorry, I plugged it in wrong. The answer is still different though and still wrong.

Here is what mathematica gave me:

[tex]-\frac{x^2}{2} + 9\ln{x}[/tex]

Redbelly98 said:
How about an approximate numerical check, which will tell you who's off by a factor of 3?

Your integrand varies wildly near x=0 and x=3, so stay away from those values. Try approximating the integral (over x) from 0.99 to 1.01, just treating the integrand as a constant evaluated at x=1. What does that give for the integral? Compare it to your final answer, and to the mathematica answer.

I just tried that... plugged in 0.99 and 1.01 as my limits and got 0.0565705 from the mathematica answer and 0.160006 from the step I got to

Sheneron said:
Integrating at the very beginning equation mathematica gave me:

[tex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}}[/tex]

and when I integrate my step I get:[tex] 3*( \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}} )[/tex]

Your first step should be to differentiate those and see if you get sqrt(9-x^2)/x. I don't think you will, neither one looks right. Did you leave out some parentheses or something?

Dick said:
Your first step should be to differentiate those and see if you get sqrt(9-x^2)/x. I don't think you will neither one looks right. Did you leave out some parentheses or something?

Sorry, but that second equation changed as I realized I plugged in the wrong stuff. Still though they are different and unequal. I don't know why mathematica would be wrong and I can't figure out where I am either.

Sheneron said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9-x^2}}{x} dx [/tex]

So:
[tex]x = 3Sin(\Theta)[/tex]
[tex]dx = 3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta[/tex]

Rewritten:
[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9 - (3Sin(\Theta))^2}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9(1-Sin(\Theta)^2)}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{3Cos(\Theta)^2}{Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

When I check this with mathematica (replacing sin and cos with something in terms of x) it doesn't match. Its a different answer.

What ARE you doing? Are you trying to turn cos(theta)^2*dtheta/sin(theta) BACK into x before you integrate? Don't do that! If you do it right, you'll just get back where you started. Integrate dtheta, THEN turn back into x.

oh crap... no wonder

thanks. I will go work on it

Sheneron said:
oh crap... no wonder

thanks. I will go work on it

Whew. Thought I was going crazy. I'll give you a free hint. cos(theta)^2=1-sin(theta)^2.

Sheneron said:
I just tried that... plugged in 0.99 and 1.01 as my limits and got 0.0565705 from the mathematica answer and 0.160006 from the step I got to

Okay. And what about the approximate answer using the original integral? I.e., what is

[tex]
\int \frac{\sqrt{9-1^2}}{1} dx
[/tex]
evaluated from 0.99 to 1.01?

Redbelly98 said:
Okay. And what about the approximate answer using the original integral? I.e., what is

[tex]
\int \frac{\sqrt{9-1^2}}{1} dx
[/tex]
evaluated from 0.99 to 1.01?

I think we've sorted it out. Somebody (and I won't name names) is new to trig substitutions. Or has forgotten.

But how would you integrate the last step on my first post?

Use cos(theta)^2=1-sin(theta)^2. I think I already suggested that. Though I think I edited it in.

1. What is the purpose of solving trigonometric substitutions with different answers?

Trigonometric substitutions are used to simplify integrals involving trigonometric functions. Sometimes, multiple substitutions can be used to solve the same integral, resulting in different answers.

2. How do you know which trigonometric substitution to use?

The substitution to use depends on the form of the integral. For example, if the integral contains a term in the form of √(a^2 + x^2), the substitution x = a tan θ can be used.

3. Can the presence of different answers affect the accuracy of the solution?

Yes, the different answers may result in different numerical values. It is important to check the solution to ensure accuracy.

4. What should I do if I get different answers when solving a trigonometric substitution?

You can check your work by substituting the solution back into the original integral and comparing the results. You can also try using a different substitution or method to solve the integral.

5. Are there any tips for solving trigonometric substitutions with different answers?

It is important to carefully follow the steps for each substitution and to check your work. You can also try simplifying the integrand before substituting to make it easier to work with.