1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Sub, Need check

1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9-x^2}}{x} dx [/tex]

So:
    [tex]x = 3Sin(\Theta)[/tex]
    [tex]dx = 3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta[/tex]

Rewritten:
    [tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9 - (3Sin(\Theta))^2}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{\sqrt{9(1-Sin(\Theta)^2)}*3Cos(\Theta)d\Theta}{3Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{3Cos(\Theta)^2}{Sin(\Theta)}[/tex]

When I check this with mathematica (replacing sin and cos with something in terms of x) it doesn't match. Its a different answer.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2008 #2
    Nevermind, I will fix that latex in a few minutes, physics forums is not working well.

4. Oct 6, 2008 #3
    Ok there we go... Yes, when I integrate the initial equation in mathematica I get an answer that does not equal when I integrate at the last step I have done. And I rewrite it back in terms of x dx so that is not it. Did I do something wrong?

5. Oct 6, 2008 #4

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your derivation looks right to me.

6. Oct 6, 2008 #5
    Hmm, according to mathematica I am off exactly by a factor of 3?

7. Oct 6, 2008 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you say what you got and what mathematica got?

8. Oct 6, 2008 #7
    Integrating at the very beginning equation mathematica gave me:

[tex] \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}}[/tex]

and when I integrate my step I get:

[tex] 3*( \sqrt{9 - x^2} + 3\ln{x} - 3 \ln{3 + \sqrt{9 - x^2}} )[/tex]

9. Oct 6, 2008 #8
    I am also stuck at my last step, what would be a good way of integrating that?

-but I don't know if thats right seeing how my answer doesn't match with mathematica.

10. Oct 6, 2008 #9

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about an approximate numerical check, which will tell you who's off by a factor of 3?

Your integrand varies wildly near x=0 and x=3, so stay away from those values. Try approximating the integral (over x) from 0.99 to 1.01, just treating the integrand as a constant evaluated at x=1. What does that give for the integral? Compare it to your final answer, and to the mathematica answer.

11. Oct 6, 2008 #10
    Oh crap Im sorry, I plugged it in wrong. The answer is still different though and still wrong.

Here is what mathematica gave me:

[tex]-\frac{x^2}{2} + 9\ln{x}[/tex]

12. Oct 6, 2008 #11
    I just tried that... plugged in 0.99 and 1.01 as my limits and got 0.0565705 from the mathematica answer and 0.160006 from the step I got to

13. Oct 6, 2008 #12

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first step should be to differentiate those and see if you get sqrt(9-x^2)/x. I don't think you will, neither one looks right. Did you leave out some parentheses or something?

14. Oct 6, 2008 #13
    Sorry, but that second equation changed as I realized I plugged in the wrong stuff. Still though they are different and unequal. I don't know why mathematica would be wrong and I can't figure out where I am either.

15. Oct 6, 2008 #14

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What ARE you doing? Are you trying to turn cos(theta)^2*dtheta/sin(theta) BACK into x before you integrate? Don't do that! If you do it right, you'll just get back where you started. Integrate dtheta, THEN turn back into x.

16. Oct 6, 2008 #15
    oh crap... no wonder

thanks. I will go work on it

17. Oct 6, 2008 #16

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Whew. Thought I was going crazy. I'll give you a free hint. cos(theta)^2=1-sin(theta)^2.

18. Oct 6, 2008 #17

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Okay. And what about the approximate answer using the original integral? I.e., what is

[tex]
    \int \frac{\sqrt{9-1^2}}{1} dx
    [/tex]
    evaluated from 0.99 to 1.01?

19. Oct 6, 2008 #18

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think we've sorted it out. Somebody (and I won't name names) is new to trig substitutions. Or has forgotten.

20. Oct 6, 2008 #19
    But how would you integrate the last step on my first post?

21. Oct 6, 2008 #20

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Use cos(theta)^2=1-sin(theta)^2. I think I already suggested that. Though I think I edited it in.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?