Trig Substitution for Solving Integrals: Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about finding the integral of \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{9-x^2}} using a trigonometric substitution. The conversation includes discussing the correct substitution, solving the integral using the trig identity for cos(2x), and confirming that the solution is correct.
yaho8888

[itex] \int \frac{x^2}{\sqrt{9-x^2}} [/itex]

find the integral using trig sub

[tex] x= 3 \sin {\phi} [/tex]

replace 3sin[tex]\phi[/tex] into x and solve. I got to

[tex]
\int \frac{9-9 \cos{\phi}}{3 \cos{\phi}}
[/tex]

then what should I do?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your sub was not correct. When you put in [tex]x=3sin(\Phi) [/tex] you should also write what [tex] d\Phi[/tex] cos now you are integrating over phi and not x anymore. Derivate your sub [tex] x=3sin(\Phi) [/tex] and see what you get. You'll get an integral with [tex] cos^2(\phi) [/tex]. To solve that you shoud see the trig equation for cos(2x) and then it's easy.

hope it helps

I got to [tex] 9 \int \sin^2 \phi [/tex]
now what?

use [tex]cos2x=1-2sin^2x[/tex]

[tex] 9 \int \frac{1 + \cos{2x}}{2} dx [/tex]

then what

yaho8888 said:
[tex] 9 \int \frac{1 + \cos{2x}}{2} dx [/tex]

then what

[tex]9\int (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{cos2x}{2} ) dx [/tex]

Have you ever done Differentiation/Integration of trig functions?

rock.freak667 said:
[tex]9\int (\frac{1}{2} + \frac{cos2x}{2} ) dx [/tex]

Have you ever done Differentiation/Integration of trig functions?

Sure I have. Ok thanks for help I got the whole problem cracked!

1. What is trig substitution and when is it used for solving integrals?

Trig substitution is a technique used in calculus to simplify integrals involving complicated algebraic expressions or radical functions. It involves replacing the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function such as sine, cosine, or tangent. This method is typically used when the integrand contains expressions such as a^2 – x^2 or √(a^2 – x^2).

2. How do I know which trigonometric substitution to use?

The trigonometric substitution used depends on the form of the integrand. If the integrand contains √(a^2 – x^2), use x = a sinθ. If the integrand contains √(x^2 – a^2), use x = a secθ. If the integrand contains √(x^2 + a^2), use x = a tanθ. It is important to choose the appropriate substitution to simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. Can trig substitution be used for all integrals?

No, trig substitution is not always necessary or useful for solving integrals. It is typically used for integrals with algebraic or radical expressions involving √(a^2 – x^2), √(x^2 – a^2), or √(x^2 + a^2). If the integral does not contain any of these forms, other integration techniques such as u-substitution or integration by parts may be more suitable.

4. What are the steps for using trig substitution to solve an integral?

The steps for using trig substitution are as follows:

• Identify the form of the integrand and determine which trigonometric substitution to use.
  • Replace the variable in the integral with the appropriate trigonometric function.
  • Simplify the integrand using trigonometric identities.
  • Integrate the simplified expression.
  • Substitute back in the original variable and simplify the final answer.

5. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when using trig substitution?

Yes, some common mistakes when using trig substitution include forgetting to substitute back in the original variable, making errors in simplifying the integral using trig identities, and using the wrong trigonometric substitution for the given form of the integrand. It is important to carefully follow each step and check for mistakes throughout the process to ensure an accurate solution.