Trig Substitution for Integrating (y-x)/(a^2(y)-a^2(x))^b - Homework Help

In summary, The problem is to integrate the function \int^y_0\frac{y-x}{(a^2(y)-a^2(x))^b}dx, where a2(y) and [a(x)]2 are functions that depend on y and x respectively. The attempt at a solution involved using integration by parts, with the substitution u=y-x and v'=(a^2(y)-a^2(x))^{-b}. However, the integration of v' proved to be difficult. Another approach was suggested, using trig substitution and drawing a triangle to establish the relationships between the variables. A possible substitution is a(x)=a(y)cos(x), with the triangle labelling the horizontal leg as a(x)
sara_87

Homework Statement

I want to integrate:

[tex]\int^y_0\frac{y-x}{(a^2(y)-a^2(x))^b}dx[/tex]

Homework Equations

a2(y) means that a is a function of y. similarly for [a(x)]2. so [a(x)]2 is a functions that depends on x.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried integration by parts:
let
u=y-x so u'=-1
[tex]v'=(a^2(y)-a^2(x))^{-b}[/tex]
and now i am struggling to integrate v'.

Physics news on Phys.org

Is this the whole problem? Or are you, perhaps, supposed to do an additional computation with this integral? I ask because (since you don't know what function a is) you won't get any good expression for this integral by itself.

I think I would start with a trig substitution first. Rather than remembering which formulas go with which situations, I draw a right triangle and label the sides and hypotenuse. I would label the hypotenuse a(y), and either of the other two sides as a(x). That leaves sqrt(a(y)^2 - a(x)^2) for the other side.

g_edgar said:
Is this the whole problem? Or are you, perhaps, supposed to do an additional computation with this integral? I ask because (since you don't know what function a is) you won't get any good expression for this integral by itself.

this is the whole problem. the answer should be interms of the function a.

why would drawing a triangle help with choosing a substitution?

Drawing a picture of a triangle is helpful when you're doing trig substitution, because it helps you establish the relationships between your substitution variable and the variables in your problem. You might be able to get by without drawing a picture, but you're probably more prone to making a mistake.

i see what you mean.

so how about the substitution: a(x)=a(y)cos(x)
?

Yes, that works. If you are using the triangle drawing, that would correspond to labelling the horizontal leg a(x) and the hypotenuse a(y).

1. What is trig substitution?

Trig substitution is a method used to simplify and solve integrals that involve radical expressions, especially those containing square root terms.

2. How do I know when to use trig substitution?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integrand contains a radical expression, or when the integrand contains an expression in the form of a^2 - x^2 or x^2 - a^2, where a is some constant.

3. What are the steps for trig substitution?

The steps for trig substitution are as follows:

• Identify the radical expression or the expression in the form of a^2 - x^2 or x^2 - a^2 in the integrand.
  • Choose the appropriate trigonometric function to substitute (based on the form of the expression).
  • Use a trigonometric identity to express the chosen trigonometric function in terms of the original variable (x or y).
  • Substitute the trigonometric function and its derivative into the integral.
  • Simplify and solve the resulting integral using standard integration techniques.

4. Can any trigonometric function be used for substitution?

No, only the six basic trigonometric functions (sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant) can be used for substitution. The choice of which trigonometric function to use for substitution depends on the form of the expression in the integrand.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trig substitution include:

• Forgetting to substitute dx or dy when substituting the trigonometric function.
  • Incorrectly applying trigonometric identities to simplify the expression.
  • Forgetting to convert the limits of integration in terms of the new variable.
  • Using the wrong trigonometric function for substitution.