1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig substitution integral

1. Feb 3, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    evaluate the integral using the indicated trig substitution. sketch the corresponding right triangle.

integral of(1/(x^2 sqrt(x^2 - 9))

2. Relevant equations

integral of(1/(x^2 sqrt(x^2 - 9))

3. The attempt at a solution
    at first glance this seemed really easy, and i tried doing it without the given trig substitution of 3sec(theta), but i just got confused. i made the triangle with 3 on the hypotenuse and x on the leg opposite theta. then i said x = 3sin(theta) (because i have a value for the hypotenuse and the opposite) and from there i have no idea what to do. Also, im discouraged because the book tells you to use 3sec(theta) which is driving me insane because i have no idea why i would use sec at all. thanks for you help.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 3, 2010 #2
    The hint is infact very useful.

you have:

using the substitution x = 3sec[tex]\theta[/tex]
    you will get a simple integral.

substitute this into the integral. BUT... you have to first find dx/d[tex]\theta[/tex] in order to substitute something for dx (in terms of d[tex]\theta[/tex])

so after the substitution, what do you get?
    (You might like to remember also the identity (sec[tex]\theta[/tex])^2-1=tan([tex]\theta[/tex])^2)
  4. Feb 3, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

Since the radical contains x2 - 9, you want x on the hypotenuse and 3 on one leg, and sqrt(x2 - 9) on the other leg.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook