1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig. Substitution Problem

1. Aug 11, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    the amount of nitrogen dioxide, a brown gas that impairs breathing, present in the atmosphere on a certain day in may in the city of long beach is appoximated by:

A(t) = ((544) / (4 + (t - 4.5)^2) + 28 t is on interval [0, 11]

where A(t) is measured in pollutant standard index (PSI) and t is measured in hours with t = 0 corresponding to 7 A.M. What is the average amount of the pollutant present in the atmosphere between 7 A.M. and 2 P.M. on that day in the city?

2. Relevant equations
    I know that this problem can be solved using trig substitution since that is the section in my book, in which it came out from.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've made several attempts to solve this problem through integration/trig sub. but i keep getting the incorrect value.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2011 #2
    Shift the interval.

ab f '(x-c) dx

= f(x-c)|ab

= f(b-c) -f(a-c)

= ∫a-cb-c f '(x) dx

After shifting, the trig-sub should be easy to detect.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  4. Aug 11, 2011 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I presume you know that the "average value" of an integrable function, f, between x= a and x= b, is
    [tex]\frac{\int_a^b f(x)dx}{b- a}[/tex]

The "shifting" that Harrisonized refers to is equivalent to the simple substitution u= x- 4.5. Once you have done that your function will involve [itex]1/(4+ u^2[/itex] and you should be able to recognize that immediately.

5. Aug 11, 2011 #4
    thank you so much, i knew i was missing something 'cause the integral itself doesnt find the average. so i was missing the b-a component. thanks i was able to figure it out.

6. Aug 11, 2011 #5
    108 PSI if anyone was wondering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook