Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig Substitution with Cosine

1. Jan 30, 2016 #1
    I was wondering if you could do a trig substitution with cosine instead of sine. All the textbooks I have referred to use a sine substitution and leave no mention as to why cosine substitution was not used. It seemed that it should work just the same, until I tried it for the following Fint [sqrt(9-x^2)]/ [x^2]. I checked to see if my answer differed by only a constant but that was not the case. I have attached pictures of my work. Can anyone tell me why it does not work? 20160130_164904.jpg 20160130_164853.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2016 #2

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you use sine instead, you will end up with ##\sin^{-1}## in place of ##\cos^{-1}##. But the two expressions are related by ##\cos^{-1}x = \pi/2-\sin^{-1}x##.

4. Jan 30, 2016 #3
    I know but why are the answers different? Is one less valid than the other?

Btw the textbook which uses sine has the same answer but with -sin^-1(x/3) instead of cos^-1(x/3) like I have it.

5. Jan 30, 2016 #4

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's exactly the point I addressed in my previous post. Replace -sin^-1(x/3) with the equation I wrote before. You will indeed have an additional ##\pi/2## but it's a constant and hence can be absorbed into the integration constant ##C##.

6. Jan 30, 2016 #5

QuantumQuest

Gold Member

There's really nothing magic about using sin or cos. It just depends on what is more convenient for each case. As for signs, using the relevant relations from trigonometry - like the one that blue_leaf77 mentions, you can substitute sin for cos and vice versa and find the appropriate sign.

7. Jan 30, 2016 #6
    The function being integrated is

f(x) = √(9 - x2) / x2

. This is defined for 0 < |x| ≤ 3.

When making a substitution we want to choose an interval where f(x) makes sense, and the easiest one is 0 < x ≤ 3.

We also want to choose a substitution that takes the same values that f(x) does over the interval of definition, and that's between 0 and 3.

Each of y = 3 sin(x) and y = 3 cos(x) satisfy this condition, so either one can be used for the substitution.

Using 3 sin(x) to substitute might be a tiny bit easier than cosine because its derivative is 3 cos(x), and this does not introduce negative signs.

8. Jan 30, 2016 #7
    Ok...I see it now. I tried some test bounds of integration and got the same answer from both options.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook