Solve Trig Substitution Integral: \int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx}

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate an integral using trig substitution. The steps involve using the substitution u = x^2 and then a = sqrt(3) and x = a sin(theta). The final step involves factoring and simplifying the denominator to get the final answer of 1/2 sin^-1(u/sqrt(3)) + C.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
[SOLVED] trig substitution

This is from the class notes. Evaluate the integral:
[tex]
\int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx}
[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
u = x^2 ,\,\,du = 2x\,dx\,\, \Leftrightarrow \,\,dx = \frac{{du}}{{2x}} \\
\\
\int_{}^{} {\frac{{x^1 }}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}dx} = \int_{}^{} {\frac{x}{{2x\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du} = \int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{2\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du } \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

The next step I would want to do using trig substitution is
[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
a = \sqrt 3 ,\,x = a\sin \theta = \sqrt 3 \sin \theta \\
\\
\frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {\sqrt 3 ^2 - \sqrt 3 \sin \theta } }}du} = \frac{1}{2}\int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{\sqrt {3 - \sqrt 3 \sin \theta } }}du} \\
\end{array}
[/tex]

But the next step in the example is:
[tex]
\int_{}^{} {\frac{1}{{2\sqrt {3 - u^2 } }}du = } \frac{1}{2}\sin ^{ - 1} \frac{u}{{\sqrt 3 }} + C
[/tex]
How did he get this? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex] then let y=u/sqrt(3) hence dy=du/sqrt(3), so we have [tex]\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dy\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-y^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{dy}{\sqrt{1-y^2}}[/tex] which is a standard integral.

Thanks for the reply. But I don't see how you did this:
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex]

I know you're right, because I picked a random value for u and plugged both formulas into my calculator. But I just don't know how you got from one to the other.

tony873004 said:
Thanks for the reply. But I don't see how you did this:
[tex]\int\frac{du}{2\sqrt{3-u^2}}=\frac{1}{2}\int\frac{du}{\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/ \sqrt{3})^2}}[/tex]

Ok, well let's just consider the denominator: [itex]2\sqrt{3-u^2}[/itex]. This can be rewritten as [tex]2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2-u^2}=2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2[1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2]}[/tex] by factoring out \sqrt{3}^2. We can then take this outside the square-root sign to give [tex]2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2}[/tex] as required.

Last edited:
cristo said:
Ok, well let's just consider the denominator: [itex]2\sqrt{3-u^2}[/itex]. This can be rewritten as [tex]2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2-u^2}=2\sqrt{(\sqrt{3})^2[1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2]}[/tex] by factoring out \sqrt{3}^2. We can then take this outside the square-root sign to give [tex]2\sqrt{3}\sqrt{1-(u/\sqrt{3})^2}[/tex] as required.

I was about to write back and ask how you did that factoring, but now that I've stared at it for a few minutes, I see what you did.

They expected me to come up with that on my own??

Thanks, Christo :)

tony873004 said:
I was about to write back and ask how you did that factoring, but now that I've stared at it for a few minutes, I see what you did.

They expected me to come up with that on my own??

Thanks, Christo :)

You're welcome!

What is a trigonometric substitution?

A trigonometric substitution is a method used to solve integrals that involve expressions with powers of trigonometric functions. It involves replacing the variable in the integral with a trigonometric function and using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

How do I know when to use trigonometric substitution?

You can use trigonometric substitution when the integral involves expressions with powers of trigonometric functions, or when there is a square root of a quadratic expression in the integral.

How do I solve the integral using trigonometric substitution?

Step 1: Identify the trigonometric substitution to use based on the form of the integral.
Step 2: Substitute the variable in the integral with the trigonometric function.
Step 3: Use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.
Step 4: Solve the resulting integral using basic integration techniques.

What is the trigonometric substitution for \frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }}?

The trigonometric substitution for \frac{x}{{\sqrt {3 - x^4 } }} is x = \sqrt{3}\tan{\theta} or x = \sqrt{3}\sin{\theta}.

How do I check my answer after using trigonometric substitution to solve the integral?

You can check your answer by differentiating the result and comparing it to the original integral. If the two are equivalent, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your result.