Solve Indefinite Integral (x^3)sqrt((x^2)+4)dx

In summary, solving an indefinite integral involves using integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the integrand to a known function. The power rule states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is a constant, and can be applied to solve indefinite integrals of polynomial functions. To apply u-substitution, one must choose a part of the integrand to substitute with u, then substitute u and du into the integral, and finally solve for u in terms of x. Integration by parts can also be used, where two parts of the integrand, u and dv, are chosen and the integral is solved using the formula ∫
razorlead

Homework Statement

Indefinite Integral

(x^3)sqrt((x^2)+4)dx

Homework Equations

With an x= 2tan@
and dx= 2 (sec^2)@ d@

The Attempt at a Solution

I get to
8(tan^3)@(sqrt((4tan^2)@+(8sec^2)@d@

Simplified down to

8(tan^3)@(sqrt((12tan^2)@+8d@

After that I'm stuck

The answer is

(1/5)((x^2)+4)^(5/2)-(4/3)((x^2)+4)^(3/2)+C

Thanks very much to the posters on my previous thread

Physics news on Phys.org
Try an algebraic substitution before you jump into trig, like u^2=x^2+4.

1. How do I solve an indefinite integral?

Solving an indefinite integral involves using integration techniques, such as u-substitution or integration by parts, to simplify the integrand to a known function. After simplifying, the integral can be solved using the power rule or other integration rules.

2. What is the power rule for indefinite integrals?

The power rule states that the integral of x^n is equal to (x^(n+1))/(n+1) + C, where C is a constant. This rule can be applied to solve indefinite integrals of polynomial functions.

3. How do I apply u-substitution to solve this integral?

To apply u-substitution, choose a part of the integrand to substitute with u, such that du/dx can be easily found. Substitute u and du into the integral, and then solve for u in terms of x. Finally, substitute back in the original variable and simplify the integral.

4. Can I use integration by parts to solve this integral?

Yes, integration by parts can be used to solve this integral. This technique involves choosing two parts of the integrand, u and dv, such that the product of du/dx and v can be easily integrated or differentiated. The integral can then be solved using the formula ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.

5. Is there a general strategy for solving indefinite integrals?

Yes, there are several general strategies for solving indefinite integrals, such as u-substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. However, the best strategy to use depends on the specific integrand and requires practice and familiarity with integration techniques.