1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trig theta Question

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Trig Question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let's say I have [tex]tan(2\theta) = cot(\phi)[/tex] I'm not quite sure how to simplify it (I want to solve for theta) I could say [tex]tan(2\theta) = 1 / tan(\phi)[/tex]
    [tex]2\theta = atan( 1 / tan(\phi) ) [/tex] but then I'm not sure what to do after that.
    Do I take the atan of 1 and [tex]tan(\phi)[/tex]?

I know another method to find it is to say [tex]cot(\phi) = \pi/2 - tan(\phi)[/tex] but I don't understand that either because [tex]2\theta = atan( \pi/2 - tan\phi ) != \pi/2 -\phi [/tex] (not exactly at least)

The answer as far as I know is supposed to be [tex]2\theta = \pi/2 -\phi [/tex]
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

Remember that that the tangent of angle is the cotangent of its complement and go from that definition.

OR you could say that

[tex]tan(2\theta) = cot(\phi) \Rightarrow \frac{2tan\theta}{1-tan^2\theta}=\frac{1}{tan\phi}[/tex]

and solve from there.

Two ways really, one is easier than the other though.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?