Can Triangle Side Lengths be Determined from Angles Alone?

• Thread starter PrudensOptimus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding the sides of a triangle given only the angles. It is mentioned that knowing three angles does not determine the length of the sides, but knowing two angles and one side or two sides and one included angle can help find the other sides using the sine and cosine rules. It is also noted that providing proportions instead of actual measurements is a possible solution in this scenario.
PrudensOptimus
I have here a standard 90 degree triangle.

_______B________
| /
| /
| /
| /
A /
| C
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
| /
|/

I know not the numerical value of A,B,C. However, I do know all of the angles they are corresponding to respectively.

How can i find A...

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What do you mean?. Do you know every angle in the triangle?

In that case:
sin A/a = sin B/b = sin C/c The law of sinus

Your diagram is difficult to interpret. A general rule is that knowing three angles of a triangle tells you nothing about the measure of their sides, since there are an infinite number of similar triangles.

You always need a minimum of 3 non trivial things to specify a plane triangle, either

a) two angles and one side.

b) two sides and one included angle.

Given a), you can find all the sides with the sine rule. The third angle can be found trivially by subtracting from the angle sum of 180 degrees. Given b), you can find the remaining side with the cosine rule, then use the sine rule to find one other angle, the third angle is trivial to find by subtraction.

Quote his text to see what his diagram was supposed to look like.

I believe if you know the length of all 3 sides you can also work out the angles. But always make sure the triangle follows the triangle equality.

Last edited:
If A is the length of the side, then it is impossible to find lengths knowing only angles. All "similar triangles" have the same angles no matter what the lengths are.

If you know that angles and ONE side length, then you can find the other lengths.

danne89 said:
What do you mean?. Do you know every angle in the triangle?

In that case:
sin A/a = sin B/b = sin C/c The law of sinus

Law of Sin won't work... i know not any of the sides.

The lengths of the sides cannot be calculated

...UNLESS...

...you weren't asked for an actual measurement - you can supply a *proportion* (i.e. algebra):
The length of A in relation to B and C is ...
The length of B in relation to A and C is ...
The length of C in relation to A and B is ...

Example: if the AC and BC angles are 45 degrees, then:

[tex]A = B = \sqrt{\frac{1}{2} (C^2)}[/tex]
[tex]C=\sqrt{A^2+B^2}[/tex]
(But that's the easy triangle.)

Last edited:
Of course you can't calculate the sides!

Isn't it easy to visualize that if you took any given triangle, and simple stretched it every direction, it is quite possible to increase all the sides without changing the angles?

1. What is trigonometry and how is it related to triangles?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It uses various ratios and functions to solve problems involving triangles, such as finding missing side lengths or angles.

2. What are the basic trigonometric functions?

The basic trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent, which are abbreviated as sin, cos, and tan. These functions represent the ratio of the sides of a right triangle and can be used to find missing angles or side lengths.

3. How do you use the Pythagorean Theorem to solve triangle problems?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. This can be used to find unknown side lengths in a right triangle.

4. What is the Law of Sines and how is it used in triangle problems?

The Law of Sines states that the ratio of the length of a side of a triangle to the sine of its opposite angle is constant for all sides and angles of the triangle. This can be used to find missing side lengths or angles in triangles that are not right triangles.

5. How is the Law of Cosines used to solve triangle problems?

The Law of Cosines is a generalization of the Pythagorean Theorem and is used to find missing side lengths or angles in triangles that are not right triangles. It states that the square of the length of a side of a triangle is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides minus twice the product of those sides and the cosine of the included angle.