Is the Trigonometry Book Wrong? Conflicting Answers for x in secx^2-4=0

In summary, the conversation discusses a trigonometry problem where the book gives incorrect answers for solving sec(x)^2-4=0. The correct answers should be x=60, 120, 240, 300 and not x=30, 330, 150, 210 as given in the book. The mistake is due to a typo and the correct approach is to find where cos(x) is equal to +/-.5 using a graph or calculator.
Liger20
b]1. Homework Statement [/b]
Hey, I have a problem that I worked out in a trigonometry book. I got different answers from what the book gave, but I think that I am right and the book is wrong. Could someone please tell me who is right?

Homework Equations

Okay, they gave me the following problem: solve for x in secx^2-4=0 when 0 is less than or equal to x, which is less than or equal to 360.

Here is how the book solves it:
(secx-2)(secx+2)

secx-2=0 secx+2=0
secx=2 secx=-2
x=sec^-1(2) x=sec^-1(-2)
= 30, 330 = 150, 210

Okay, here's where I have a big problem: secant is the reciprocal function of cosine, right?
So if we evaluate x=sec^-1(2), we get cos^-1(1/2), which does not equal 30 and 330 when plugged into the calculator. Same situation with x=sec^-1(-2).
I am pretty sure that this is a horrible typo, but I would be delighted to be corrected otherwise.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with you. If you want places where cos(x) = +/-.5 then that is 60,120,240,300. Also I graphed [sec(x)]^2-4 and it was 0 at those places. The values they gave were correct for sine. So unless the original problem is [csc(x)]^2-4=0, their answer is wrong.

Actually sec x = 1/cos x. I think you are confusing ^-1 and inverse functions.

I think that there is a typo, the answers should actually be x = 60, 120, 240, 300.

Solution from where the book leaves off:
sec(x) = 2, sec(x) = -2
1/2 = cos(x), -1/2 = cos(x)
Use graph or calculator to find the angles are those that I stated above.

dlgoff said:
Actually sec x = 1/cos x. I think you are confusing ^-1 and inverse functions.
No, he said "reciprocal", not "inverse". There is NO cos-1(2).

Oops. Sorry.

1. What is the purpose of a Trigonometry book?

A Trigonometry book is designed to introduce and explain the concepts of trigonometry, which is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between angles and sides of triangles. It is an essential tool for understanding and solving problems related to geometry, physics, and engineering.

2. Why do students often feel confused by Trigonometry books?

Trigonometry requires a strong foundation in basic algebra and geometry, so students who struggle with these subjects may find the concepts in a Trigonometry book difficult to understand. Additionally, the use of complex diagrams, formulas, and terminology can also contribute to confusion.

3. How can I make the most out of a Trigonometry book?

It is important to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and geometry before diving into a Trigonometry book. Take your time to carefully read and understand each concept before moving on to the next. Practice solving problems and use real-life examples to solidify your understanding.

4. What are some common mistakes students make when using a Trigonometry book?

One common mistake is trying to memorize formulas without understanding the underlying concepts. This can lead to errors and confusion when applying the formulas to different problems. Another mistake is not checking for extraneous solutions, which can result in incorrect answers.

5. Are there any additional resources that can help supplement a Trigonometry book?

Yes, there are many online resources such as video tutorials, practice problems, and interactive quizzes that can help supplement a Trigonometry book. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial in understanding and applying the concepts in a Trigonometry book.