• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Trig word problem

• Thread starter Vee9
  • Start date

Homework Statement

A pedulum, which is 0.5 m long, swings back and forth. The angle of it's displacement from it's original position is modelled by:
Theta = 1/4Sin(Pi/3)

IN the first 4 seconds, when will the vertical displacement of the pendulum be 1 cm?

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was:
Find the angle theta.
The pendulum can swing to the left into an imaginary "Quadrant 3" so
sin theta = 0.01/0.5
theta = _____

Then I subbed that into the equation and got a decimal answer.
I was sure there was more than one answer, so in the last minute, I added Pi and _____, since it's in the third quadrant. And ended up with 3. something.

The other class did this question the day before our test and ended up with 4 answers!
I looked at the solutions, but one of them was 5.94 or along those lines, but it didn't satisfy what the question was looking for - the first 4 seconds
That teacher also drew the 1 cm displacement on the horizontal component of the pendulum, which was odd... didn't it ask for the vertical?

?
:(

Answers and Replies

madmike159
Gold Member
First off there will always be more than one answer when dealing with periodic functions like sine and cosine. This is why they said in the first 4 seconds! Indacating your answer should be 4 seconds or less.

I don't think your equation is right, because it means theta = a constant, because there is no variable in your equation. Is there meant to be a t in there somewhere?

I worked out theta to be 88.85 (degrees) to make the vertical displacement 1 cm. I did this by drawing the diagram, using Pythagoras theorem to find the horizontal displacement then using atan(O/A) = theta. Without a variable in the equation you gave the time cannot be calculated.