How can I solve this trigonometric equation using the given equations?

• Thread starter Suraj M
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation cos(2x) × cos(x/2) - cos(3x) × cos(9x/2) = sin(5x) × sin(5x/2) using trigonometric identities. The process involves using parentheses to correctly represent the equations and finding common angles in order to simplify the equation. The final result is that the left side of the equation can be simplified to equal the right side, proving that the equation is true.
Suraj M
Gold Member

Homework Statement

$$ \cos(2x) × \cos(\frac x2) - \cos(3x)× \cos (\frac{9}{2} x) = \sin(5x)× \sin \frac {5}{2}x $$

Homework Equations

$$ \cos(x) + \cos(y) = 2 \cos{\frac{x+y}{2}} \cos{\frac{x-y}{2}} $$
$$ \cos(x) - \cos (y) = -2 \sin \frac{x+y}{2} \sin \frac{x-y}{2} $$

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start, as there are no common angles(2x,x/2,3x...).
How do i start off?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you not simply start expanding your products using the equations you have quoted and see what you get?

First, start by using parentheses when necessary. It's not true that
$$\cos x + \cos y = 2\cos\left(x+\frac y2\right)\cos\left(x-\frac y2\right)$$ as you wrote.

It might help to write the identities using variables other than x and y to avoid confusion, e.g.
$$\cos a + \cos b = 2\cos \frac{a+b}2 \cos \frac {a-b}2.$$ To deal with the term ##\cos 2x \cos \frac x2##, you want ##\frac{a+b}2 = 2x## and ##\frac{a-b}2 = \frac x2##. Solve for ##a## and ##b##. What do you get?

vela said:
First, start by using parentheses when necessary. It's not true that
$$\cos x + \cos y = 2\cos\left(x+\frac y2\right)\cos\left(x-\frac y2\right)$$ as you wrote.

It might help to write the identities using variables other than x and y to avoid confusion, e.g.
$$\cos a + \cos b = 2\cos \frac{a+b}2 \cos \frac {a-b}2.$$ To deal with the term ##\cos 2x \cos \frac x2##, you want ##\frac{a+b}2 = 2x## and ##\frac{a-b}2 = \frac x2##. Solve for ##a## and ##b##. What do you get?
I actually don't know how you right those equations using parentheses, so pardon this:
##a = {\frac{5}{2}} x ## and ##b = {\frac{3}{2}} x ##
and then if i do the same for the second term... ##c = {\frac{15}{2}} x## and ##d = {\frac{-3}{2}} x##
so then my LHS becomes:
$${\frac{1}{2}}\left({\cos \left({\frac{5}{2}} x \right) +\cos{\frac{3}{2}}x } \right)- {\frac{1}{2}} \left( [\cos {\frac{15}{2}} x + \cos{\frac{3}{2}} x ] \right) $$
$$ = {\frac{1}{2}}\left[(-2) × \sin(-5x) × \sin{\frac{5}{2}}x \right] $$
= RHS
, Thanks a lot:smile:
now could you please tell me how to right those equations using parentheses,please

Last edited:
Suraj M said:
now could you please tell me how to write those equations using parentheses, please
cos ((x+y)/2) instead of cos (x+y/2)

What is a trignometric equation?

A trignometric equation is an equation that involves trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve problems involving angles and triangles.

How do you solve a trignometric equation?

To solve a trignometric equation, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring, substitution, and combining like terms. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to simplify the equation and find a solution.

What is a proof in trignometric equations?

A proof in trignometric equations is a logical and systematic way to show that a statement or equation is true. It involves using mathematical principles and properties to justify each step and arrive at a valid conclusion.

What are some common trigonometric identities used in proofs?

Some common trigonometric identities used in proofs include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. These identities are derived from the fundamental ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent in a right triangle.

Why are trignometric equations important in science?

Trignometric equations are important in science because they are used to model and solve real-world problems involving angles and triangles. They are especially useful in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy where precise measurements and calculations are necessary.