Solving Trigonometric Inequalities in a Given Interval

• Thread starter mohlam12
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving an inequality within a specific interval using trigonometric identities. The poster has simplified the inequality and found the possible values for x to be pi/6, -3pi/4, and -7pi/12. They are unsure if this is the correct solution and are asking for confirmation.
mohlam12
hey
first of all, that s not an equation, i don't know the word in english (sorry)
but here... i have to solve that in the interval [-2pi , pi ]

cos(2x)-√3sin(2x) ≥ -√2

here is what i did...
2(.5cos(2x)-√3 /2 sin(2x) ≥ -√2
cos(pi/3)cos(2x)-sin(pi/3)sin(2x) ≥ -√2 /2
cos(pi/3 + 2x) ≥ -√2 / 2
and that s going to be...
pi/3 + 2x ≥ pi/4

x ≥ -pi/24

now what, is that all what i have to do? is waht i did right? and finally, what should the solution to this 'problem' be ?

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
For the record, these are called inequalities.

To your question, do you think it's the right answer?

consider: cos z ≥ -√2 / 2
where z = pi/3 + 2x

For what values of z is this inequality satisfied? If you know the possible values of z, can you determine the possible values of x?

Last edited:
sorry, but I didnt get what you mean... All what I got from what you said is that x should be bigger or equal than (-3√2 - 2pi)/12
:huh:

oh, the possible values for z are 5pi/6 , -5pi/6 , -7pi/6 i think that is it for the interval i have (-2pi , pi)
so now what ?? :confused:

hmmm, is that right:

the possible values of x are:
pi/6
-3pi/4
-7pi/12

are those the solutions for this INEQUALITY ??

1. What is a trigonometric equation?

A trigonometric equation is an equation that contains one or more trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent. These equations involve finding the unknown values of angles or sides in a triangle, using the relationships between the sides and angles in a right triangle.

2. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you need to isolate the trigonometric function on one side of the equation and use inverse trigonometric functions to find the angle or side value. You may also need to use trigonometric identities or simplification techniques to solve more complex equations.

3. What are the common trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving equations include the Pythagorean identities, double-angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities allow you to simplify expressions and solve equations more easily.

4. Can you solve a trigonometric equation without a calculator?

Yes, it is possible to solve a trigonometric equation without a calculator by using the unit circle and trigonometric tables. However, for more complex equations, a calculator may be necessary to obtain more precise solutions.

5. What are some applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations have many real-world applications, such as in engineering, physics, and navigation. They are used to calculate distances, heights, angles, and other measurements in various fields, including architecture, astronomy, and surveying.