Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Trignometry equation

1. Jan 31, 2016 #1
    While solving a problem I arrived at this equation:
    sin(x) / ( A - cos(x) ) = B

A and B are known values. Is it possible to get x?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 31, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Is this a schoolwork question? What is the context of the problem you are wanting to solve?

4. Jan 31, 2016 #3
    I'm trying to solve a physics problem which asks the value of an angle. The equation is this:

sin θ / ( -2cos 20 - cos θ) = tan 20

5. Jan 31, 2016 #4

berkeman

You did not answer my question directly. You know the PF rules. Is this question for schoolwork? If not, why are you a working physicist who cannot figure this out?

6. Jan 31, 2016 #5
    Oh, no, I don't have any formal training in physics (or math). :)) I'm just trying to resolve a physics problem and I always get stuck in trigonometry equations. So it's not schoolwork I guess.

7. Jan 31, 2016 #6

berkeman

But it is still schoolwork-like, so the PF rules require that you post this in the Homework Help forums, and fill out the HH Template. That includes you writing out what you think the Relevant Equations are, and showing your Attempt at the Solution. That is how the PF works.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook