1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trignometry Problem

1. Sep 21, 2004 #1
    Hi,

I am doing A-Level maths P2 and am having trouble with solving this problems and others like it. Could you please tell me how to solve this and how to go about solving others lke these as when I look at the problem I have no idea how to start. The problem is the following:

Solve for 0 <= Θ <= 180

sin Θ=2sin(60-Θ)

Thanks,
    --Antagonist

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2004 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Use the trig identiy for

[tex] \sin( \alpha - \beta) [/tex]

4. Sep 21, 2004 #3

wm

You say: "I am doing A-Level maths P2 and am having trouble with solving this problems and others like it. Could you please tell me

<<how to solve this and how to go about solving others lke these as when I look at the problem I have no idea how to start>>. The problem is the following:

Solve for 0 <= ? <= 180: sin ?=2sin(60-?)."

Maybe you need AAA ['AN AGGRO ATTITUDE'] to problem-solving; or SOMETHING LIKE: CRACKING THE CODE!! LIKE: Your teacher wants ? (under some conditions) and (like most teachers) has given you a CODE; a relation between something OTHER: here, sin? and sin(60 - ?). Now neither of these you really want; but if you could get rid of one of them (the least familiar), well you might have a simple expression for something that is more familiar to you ... and a solution ... maybe

Now sin? is surely more familiar to you that sin(60 - ?). So, not really wanting either (YOU WANT ?) how can you at least get rid of the latter less-familiar one? And then see what the teacher has also given you (but in coded form!)

That's where "Integrals" suggestion comes in. Your job is to crack the language code! You're lucky, in a way: Maths is the best logic and language that we have. So it's worth learning! Enjoy.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?