1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigo doubt

1. Nov 9, 2005 #1
    My doubt lies with the following question. It is given that sin(pi*cosx) = cos(pi*sinx).
    From the following information it is to be proved that x = (1/4)[(2n+1)pi +or- cos^-1(1/8)] where n is any natural number.

From the question we can make it clear that the range of pi*cosx and pi*sinx is between pi and -pi. So I took two cases. In the first case bot are positive. When they are positive they must lie in [0,pi/2]. Thus from the equation we get that pi*cosx and pi*sinx must be complementary.
    Therefore pi*cosx = pi/2 - pi*sinx. Therefore cosx = (1/2) - sinx. Therefore sinx + cosx = (1/2) and this is the maxima of the function thus bringing up that x is 2n*pi + pi/4 in case1 while it is 2n*pi -3pi/4 in case2.
    So that is something that is against my question or infact I have disproved what I should prove. Can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 10, 2005 #2
    Just want to clear something up:
    At University, we are seriously discouraged from writing, Sin^-1 /
    Cos^-1 / Tan^-1, because they can mean two things.

First it, in your question, it could equal arccos(1/8):
    (The angle created from a right-angled triangle with adjacent length 1 & hypotenuse length 8).

Second it can equal sec(1/8):
    (The inverse of the value cos(1/8) i.e. (Cos 1/8)^-1

Obviously this is a special case, and you can write Sin^2(x) without confusion. Could you clarify which cos the question is referring to?

4. Nov 10, 2005 #3

Homework Helper

The bolded part is wrong!
    Are you sure that:
    [tex]\sin \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]??
    In fact:
    [tex]\sin \frac{\pi}{4} + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} = \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} = \sqrt 2[/tex]
    To solve for x in:
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex], you can just use the identity:
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex].
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex].
    You should be able to go from here, right?
  5. Nov 10, 2005 #4
    sinx + cosx = 2^(1/2)cos(x-pi/4)
    is this the modification of any standard identity or something of university level. i cannot recall it from something i learnt.
  6. Nov 11, 2005 #5

Homework Helper

A short proof:
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \sqrt 2 \left( \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \sin x + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \cos x \right) = \sqrt 2 \left( \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \sin x + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} \cos x \right) = \sqrt 2 \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right)[/tex]
    To solve trig equation in form : a sin x + b cos x = c. Where a, b, c are constants. We often divide boths sides by [itex]\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}[/itex]
    Then let:
    [tex]\sin \alpha = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \quad \mbox{and} \quad \cos \alpha = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}}[/tex]
    Or let:
    [tex]\cos \alpha = \frac{a}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}} \quad \mbox{and} \quad \sin \alpha = \frac{b}{\sqrt{a ^ 2 + b ^ 2}}[/tex]
    [tex]\sin x + \cos x = \frac{1}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \sin x + \frac{1}{\sqrt 2} \cos x = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \sin \frac{\pi}{4} \sin x + \cos \frac{\pi}{4} \cos x = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]
    [tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos \left( x - \frac{\pi}{4} \right) = \frac{1}{2 \sqrt 2}[/tex]
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?