What is the exact value of sin 240º?

• Thread starter Corkery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, the conversation involves finding the exact value of the trig function sin 240º. The suggested approach is to express 240 as a sum or difference of angles for which the value of sin is known, such as 360, 30, or 60 degrees. It is mentioned that 240 is 60 degrees more than the 180 line of quadrant 2, leading to the conclusion that sin 60º equals √3/2. However, it is also noted that sin is negative in the 3rd and 4th quadrants.
Corkery

Homework Statement

Find the exact value of each trig function:
Sin 240º

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am so lost here. I have no attempt. I am not asking you for the answer (i can't get answer without making an attempt which I don't have) i just need help. Please.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to express 240 as sum or difference of angles for which you know the value of sinӨ like 360, 30, 60 etc.

Last edited:
so 240 is 60 degrees more than the 180 line of quadrant 2 so sin 60 = √3/2. is that right or am i totally off?

Corkery said:
so 240 is 60 degrees more than the 180 line of quadrant 2 so sin 60 = √3/2. is that right or am i totally off?
sin is -ve in 3rd and 4th quadrant

What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a right triangle to the lengths of its sides. They include sine, cosine, tangent, cotangent, secant, and cosecant.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometric functions?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1, centered at the origin on a graph. It is used to visualize and calculate the values of trigonometric functions, as the coordinates of points on the unit circle correspond to the sine and cosine values of the angles formed by those points.

What are the main applications of trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, navigation, and astronomy. They are also used in computer graphics and animation to create realistic movements and angles.

What is the relationship between trigonometric functions and right triangles?

Trigonometric functions are defined as the ratio of two sides of a right triangle. For example, the sine of an angle is equal to the length of the side opposite the angle divided by the length of the hypotenuse.

How are trigonometric functions used to solve real-world problems?

Trigonometric functions can be used to solve problems involving angles and distances, such as finding the height of a building or the distance between two points. They are also used in surveying and construction to calculate angles and distances accurately.