Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonomatric substitutions

1. Jun 15, 2007 #1
    Hey,

Recently I studied trigonometric substitution way to solve many forms of Integrals. But since I'm new at this I can't get the intuition when to use what. When it goes out of normal "formulas" , I am really lost.

For example,
    dx
    S(----------- )
    x^2*sqrt(x^2+1)

I solved it, but had to use too many formulas for sinarctanx and cosarctgx (which are almost exact). anyway, At first I substituted x=tant, and later on I got:

S sin^-2(t)*cos(t)dt

and therefore i had to substitute z=sint

and in the end what I got is -1/sinarctgx+C.

(I checked it, if we will check what d(-1/sinarctanx) is equal to, you will get the original question, therefore its right)

And that's NOT A BEAUTIFUL FORM :(.

If can someone suggest something better out of his experience, Ill appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
    Aviv
    But the way, I realized I can't copy from math-type to here (as expected, but that was my only guess).
    Can someone tell me how write the function in more proper way?

Thanks

Last edited: Jun 15, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2007 #2
    I came acroos something similar, heres how i got around the problem, i hope this helps:

[​IMG]

4. Jun 16, 2007 #3
    Rofl, I had this question one exercise ago, and it caused me great pain try doing it by integration by parts.
    and now it looks so easy :P

Anyway I can't take any conclusions from your very nice solution to my problem. (since in my sqrt you can't just transform it to a sin/cos/tan), you can however transform it to cosh and sinh with the sinh2+1=cosh^2, But I am really weak with those functions so I am not touching them.

Anyway
    Thanks , But it doesn't help me a lot :(

Any other suggestions?

5. Jun 16, 2007 #4

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know what sin(arctan(x)) is? Try drawing a right triangle, label one side x, the other side 1, then try and find which angle is arctan(x). Finding sin(arctan(x)) becomes pretty simple after that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?