Trigonometric Complex Numbers

In summary, to find the four roots of i, first write it in polar form and then use de Moivre's formula to find its roots. To write i in polar form, we can use the exponential representation e^(ix) = cos(x) + isin(x) and find that i = e^(i(pi/2)). From there, we can use de Moivre's formula to find the four roots of i by letting k = 0, 1, 2, 3.
algebra2

Homework Statement

http://imageshack.us"

how are the solutions of the fourth roots pi/2? how do you get pi/2, you know the thing after "cos" and "isin" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First write it in polar form, or trigonometric form, however you call it, and after that use de moivre's formula to find its roots.

let z be a complex nr.

z=a+bi, writing it in polar forms : [tex]a=r cos(\theta),b=\ro sin\theta[/tex]

So,

[tex] z=r (cos\theta+isin\theta)[/tex]

now

[tex]z^{\frac{1}{n}}=r^{\frac{1}{n}}(cos\frac{\theta +2k\pi}{n}+isin{\frac{\theta+2k\pi}{n})[/tex]

Now all you need to do is figure out what [tex]\theta [/tex] is, and your fine.

Or if you want the exponential representation of a complex nr:

[tex]e^{ix}=cosx+isinx[/tex]

[tex]e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}=i[/tex] so we get

[tex] i=cos\frac{\pi}{2}+isin\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
sutupidmath said:
[tex]e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}=i[/tex]

how do you know that x = pi/2

well z=i, is a complex nr right. Following my elaboration above we have a=0, b=1, right?

so [tex]\theta =\arctan\frac{1}{0}-->\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] loosly speaking.

so the exponential form of i is what i wrote [tex] i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

SO to find the four roots of i just follow de moivres formula that i wrote above, letting k=0,1,2,3.

how do you know a=0 and b=1? isn't it a=1 and b=-1 or did i do something wrong

Your number is i. If you write that in the form a+ bi, what are a and b?

1. What are Trigonometric Complex Numbers?

Trigonometric complex numbers are complex numbers expressed in polar form, using trigonometric functions (sine and cosine) to represent the real and imaginary components.

2. How do you convert a complex number to trigonometric form?

To convert a complex number to trigonometric form, you can use the following formula: r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the modulus (or absolute value) of the complex number and θ is the argument (or angle) of the complex number.

3. What is the relationship between trigonometric complex numbers and the unit circle?

Trigonometric complex numbers are closely related to the unit circle, as the modulus (r) of a complex number represents the distance from the origin to the point on the unit circle, and the argument (θ) represents the angle formed between the positive x-axis and the radius of the point on the unit circle.

4. How do you perform operations on trigonometric complex numbers?

To perform operations on trigonometric complex numbers, you can use the properties of trigonometric functions and the rules of complex numbers. For addition and subtraction, you can simply add or subtract the real and imaginary components separately. For multiplication and division, you can use the polar form and the properties of exponents.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric complex numbers?

Trigonometric complex numbers are used in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and electronics. They are particularly useful in analyzing and solving problems involving alternating currents, oscillations, and waves. They are also used in signal processing and image processing.