1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Complex Numbers

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [​IMG]

how are the solutions of the fourth roots pi/2? how do you get pi/2, you know the thing after "cos" and "isin" ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2
    First write it in polar form, or trigonometric form, however you call it, and after that use de moivre's formula to find its roots.

let z be a complex nr.

z=a+bi, writing it in polar forms : [tex]a=r cos(\theta),b=\ro sin\theta[/tex]

So,

[tex] z=r (cos\theta+isin\theta)[/tex]

now

[tex]z^{\frac{1}{n}}=r^{\frac{1}{n}}(cos\frac{\theta +2k\pi}{n}+isin{\frac{\theta+2k\pi}{n})[/tex]

Now all you need to do is figure out what [tex]\theta [/tex] is, and your fine.

Or if you want the exponential representation of a complex nr:

[tex]e^{ix}=cosx+isinx[/tex]

[tex]e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}=i[/tex] so we get

[tex] i=cos\frac{\pi}{2}+isin\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    how do you know that x = pi/2

5. Apr 14, 2008 #4
    well z=i, is a complex nr right. Following my elaboration above we have a=0, b=1, right?

so [tex]\theta =\arctan\frac{1}{0}-->\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] loosly speaking.

so the exponential form of i is what i wrote [tex] i=e^{i\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

SO to find the four roots of i just follow de moivres formula that i wrote above, letting k=0,1,2,3.

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    how do you know a=0 and b=1? isnt it a=1 and b=-1 or did i do something wrong

7. Apr 15, 2008 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Your number is i. If you write that in the form a+ bi, what are a and b?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?