Struggling with Trigonometric Equations: Need Some Help?

By working through these problems, you are building a strong foundation for future mathematical concepts. In summary, working through these precalculus problems may seem tedious, but they are crucial in developing problem-solving skills and understanding fundamental concepts that will be used in more advanced math courses.
sportsguy3675
I'm having trouble with two problems:
2tan(x) - 2cot(x) = -3
and
cos(x)^2 + sin(x) = 0
On the 2nd one, I can substitute 1-sin(x)^2 for cos(x)^2 right? I tried that, but it didn't work. And I have no clue what to do on the first one. Little help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to do? Solve?

sportsguy3675 said:
I'm having trouble with two problems:
2tan(x) - 2cot(x) = -3
and
cos(x)^2 + sin(x) = 0
On the 2nd one, I can substitute 1-sin(x)^2 for cos(x)^2 right? I tried that, but it didn't work. And I have no clue what to do on the first one. Little help please?
Do what you said for the 2nd one and then let y = sin(x) and solve the quadratic equation.

For the 1st one, write all trig functions in terms of sin(x) and cos(x) usually is the way to go for these sort of things.

Oh, my teacher told me sin and cos usually mess things up, but I guess that is the only option.

Edit:

I ended up with 2sin(x)^2 - 2cos(x)^2 + 3cox(x)sin(x) = 0 for the first one. That can't be right can it?

And using the identity on the 2nd one I get:

-sin(x)^2 + sin(x) +1 = 0

Then what, quad formula? But I got a negative under the radical. :(

Last edited:
Oh, my teacher told me sin and cos usually mess things up
Really? I'm such a wimp the first thing with a trig equation is put everything back to sin and cos!

In the first equation, 2tan(x) - 2cot(x) = -3, setting tan(x)= sin(x)/cos(x) and cos(x)/sin(x) you immediately get
[tex]2\frac{sin(x)}{cos(x}- 2\frac{cos(x)}{sin(x)}= -3[/tex]
Multiply through by sin(x) and cos(x) and you get
[tex]2sin^2(x)- 2cos^2(x)= 3[/tex]
Since cos2(x)= 1- sin2(x) the becomes
[tex]2sin^2(x)- 2+ 2sin^2(x)= 3[/tex]
so
[tex]4sin^2(x)= 5[/tex]
or
[tex]sin^2(x)= \frac{5}{4}[/tex]
That should be easy to solve.

sportsguy3675 said:
Oh, my teacher told me sin and cos usually mess things up, but I guess that is the only option.

Edit:

I ended up with 2sin(x)^2 - 2cos(x)^2 + 3cox(x)sin(x) = 0 for the first one. That can't be right can it?

And using the identity on the 2nd one I get:

Then what, quad formula? But I got a negative under the radical. :(
Erm, you what? Let y = sin(x), you'll see you defintly don't get complex solutions.

Eek, didn't realize you'd put Cot for the 2nd one, just multiply through my Tan(x) and apply simmilar princable to what we've just done.

Um HallsofIvy how was the 3 seemingly unaffected by you multiplying through by sin and cos? And when I type in sin^-1(+/- root 5 / 2) I get domain error... ?

What do you mean by let y=sin(x)?

sportsguy3675 said:
Um HallsofIvy how was the 3 seemingly unaffected by you multiplying through by sin and cos? And when I type in sin^-1(+/- root 5 / 2) I get domain error... ?

What do you mean by let y=sin(x)?
You have:

Let y = sin(x):

-y^2 + y + 1 = 0

Solve y, then substitute sin(x) = y and then solve for x.

Do the same for the other one once you have multiplied through by tan(x)

Yeah, I figured out the tan(x) thing. These were due today. I forget how I did the 2nd one because I didn't do it like you said. It worked some other way. What is the purpose of learning precal when the calculator already told me the answer :p

sportsguy3675 said:
Yeah, I figured out the tan(x) thing. These were due today. I forget how I did the 2nd one because I didn't do it like you said. It worked some other way. What is the purpose of learning precal when the calculator already told me the answer :p
To instill good methods that you will need for more advanced mathematics.

What are trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations are mathematical expressions that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. They are often used to model real-world phenomena involving angles and periodic behavior.

What is the general form of a trigonometric equation?

The general form of a trigonometric equation is f(x) = a sin(bx + c) + d, where a is the amplitude, b is the period, c is the phase shift, and d is the vertical shift.

How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you can use algebraic techniques such as factoring, expanding, and simplifying. You can also use trigonometric identities and properties to manipulate the equation into a form that is easier to solve.

What are the common methods for solving trigonometric equations?

The most common methods for solving trigonometric equations are the unit circle method, the graphing method, and the algebraic method. The unit circle method involves using the unit circle to find the solutions, the graphing method involves graphing the equation and finding the points of intersection, and the algebraic method involves manipulating the equation to isolate the variable.

What are some real-world applications of trigonometric equations?

Trigonometric equations have many real-world applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate the height of buildings, the distance between two points, and the phases of the moon, among other things.