How to solve the trigonometric equation sin(x) = x/2?

• Thread starter prasannapakkiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trigonometric
In summary, the conversation discusses methods for solving the trigonometric equation sin(x) = x/2 and finding the intersections of the two functions f(x)=sin(x) and g(x)=x/2. The speakers mention using graphs to find the number of solutions, but also consider analytical methods and specifically mention the use of Newton's method. They also discuss the time constraints and accuracy of these methods for a scholarship exam. Ultimately, the speakers conclude that there is no analytical method for finding the exact intersections and suggest using Newton's method as a solution.
prasannapakkiam
How would one go about solving sin(x) = x/2
I.e. the intersections of
f(x)=sin(x)
&
g(x)=x/2

I can rigorously solve this by going to each individual period and finding the intersections. But is there a better way?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can find the no. of solutions easily enough using graphs, but getting the actual solution, would require rigour.

This is going to do my scholarship exam on Friday. I was only notified today that I was selected. Although I knew most of the requirements prior to this, I did not know about trigonometric equations such as this. I cannot afford to draw graphs - time constraints are not going to do me favours. I know for sin(x)=k, there is a simple general solution rule. But as for kx; are there any quicker methods?

Do you want to know the exact intersections or the number of intersections? If it's the number, it's fairly easy. The maxima and minima of sin x all have y = 1 and y = -1. The function x/2 is equal to 1 at x = 2 and - 1 at x = -2. Since the pi/2< 2 <pi, then it has to cross sin x at two points on the positive x-axis (picture this in your mind: the line has to cross the "mountain" between 0 and pi). Same applies to -2 > -pi. There are in total 3 intersection points (x = 0 is common to the positive and negative sides of the x axis).

Yes I suppose knowing the number of solutions may be helpful. However, the values are also expected...

Then, there exist no analytical method. Apart from the obvious x = 0 solution, the others have to be found by other method. Are you familiar with Newton's method?

No I am not aware of Newton's method

Then learn about it, you haven't got much time! Though, it's strange that they would ask you this kind of question...

Last edited:
Wow! I have just learned it! It is quite accurate with just 3 steps. Since they expect 3 s.f. it is perfect. Thanks.

1. What are Trigonometric Equations?

Trigonometric Equations are mathematical equations that involve trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These equations are used to solve for unknown angles or sides in a triangle, as well as in various other applications in physics, engineering, and science.

2. What are the basic trigonometric identities used in solving equations?

The basic trigonometric identities are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions are defined as the ratio of the lengths of two sides of a right triangle. Other important identities include the Pythagorean identity, the double-angle identities, and the half-angle identities.

3. How do you solve a trigonometric equation?

To solve a trigonometric equation, you must isolate the variable by using algebraic manipulation and applying trigonometric identities. You may also need to use inverse trigonometric functions, such as arcsine, arccosine, and arctangent, to find the solution.

4. What are the common mistakes made when solving trigonometric equations?

Common mistakes when solving trigonometric equations include forgetting to check for extraneous solutions, not using the correct trigonometric identity, and making algebraic errors. It is important to carefully check your work and plug in your solutions to the original equation to ensure they are correct.

5. How are trigonometric equations used in real-world applications?

Trigonometric equations are used in various real-world applications, such as in navigation, engineering, and physics. For example, they can be used to determine the height of a building or the angle of elevation for a satellite. They are also used in music and sound engineering to analyze sound waves and frequencies.