1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric First Order DE

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    [tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \cos(x+t) [/tex]

I'm having real troubles with this; I tried a substitution of [tex]u=x+t[/tex] but it just ends up as,

[tex]t=\tan{u} + \csc{u} + C[/tex]

And I can't see where to go from there. (the middle function is cosec; it didn't come out very clearly on my screen).

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I keep getting t=csc(u)-cot(u)+C. You could then put u=x+t. But I don't think you can go much further than that as far as explicitly solving for x(t). It looks like kind of a mess.

4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    You're right, it is -cot(u) rather than tan(u); don't know where I got that from. But you don't believe there's anyway to get it into a form x(t) [or even t(x)]?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2009
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think so. You can try expressing everything in terms of sin and cos and then apply the addition formulas and hope things magically sort out. But it looks to me like x and t are pretty thoroughly mixed up.

6. Jan 13, 2009 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

That was my thought, too, looking at dx/dt = cos(x + t). I tried the cosine sum formula but didn't find any magic there. cos(x + t) apparently has x and t inextricably twined.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?