Trigonometric Functions - Confusing question

In summary, the equation y = sinx + 2 best models the data in the chart, with a period of 2pi, a value of 1, and a c value of 2. The graph starts at 2, increases to 3, back to 2, down to 1, and then back to 2, similar to the normal sine curve shifted up 2 units. The equation can be written in the form y = asin(x-d) + c, with a period of 2pi and no phase shift.
Markd
What equation in the form y=sin(theta)+c best models the dtat in the chart below...

(theta)radians : 1 : pi/2 : pi : 3pi/2 : 2pi

I am really confused on how to approach the problem, can someone please lend a hand?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The normal sine curve goes like this:

X|0 pi/2 pi 3pi/2 2pi
Y|0 1 0 -1 0

It has a period of 2pi, meaning it takes that distance to make one cycle and then it repeats

So your graph starts at 2, then increases to 3, back to 2, down to 1, and finally back to 2.

Sound familiar?

It's just like the normal sine curve but shifted up 2 units.

-----------
y = sinx + 2

I would guess you would supstitute for y and theta, but that doesn't seem to work, I also trying with a number in from of sin (theta) but that doesn't work either. Did you copy the problem correctly?

I think your right Jameson,

the period is 2pi
a value is 1
c value is 2
no phase shift

I think I am going to write it in the form y=asin(x-d)+c

so would I write, sin2pi(x)+2 or sinx+2? or does it matter?

btw, I did copy it correctly cdhotfire

hehe, I wrote my response and then saw what jameson said, and i couldn't earase my awnser. :rofl:

you'd write y = sinx + 2

the period is a separate calculation

Thanks guys

1. What are trigonometric functions?

Trigonometric functions are mathematical functions that relate the angles of a triangle to the lengths of its sides. The most commonly used trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent.

2. How do I use trigonometric functions in real life?

Trigonometric functions are used in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to calculate distances, angles, and heights in real-world applications.

3. What are the primary properties of trigonometric functions?

The primary properties of trigonometric functions include periodicity, symmetry, and the Pythagorean identities. Trigonometric functions also have inverse functions, which allow for the calculation of angles given certain ratios.

4. Why do people find trigonometric functions confusing?

Trigonometric functions can be confusing because they involve complex calculations and require a strong understanding of geometry and algebra. Additionally, the different properties and relationships between trigonometric functions can be difficult for some people to grasp.

5. How can I improve my understanding of trigonometric functions?

To improve your understanding of trigonometric functions, it is important to practice and become familiar with their properties and applications. You can also seek out resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems to help strengthen your knowledge and skills.