What is the Range of y in (y+1)/(y-1)=sin2x/sin2a?

In summary, the discussion is about finding the range of y in the expression (y+1)/(y-1)=sin2x/sin2a. The attempted solution involved transforming the expression into y=(sin2x+sin2a)/(sin2x-sin2a) and using formulae for sine addition and subtraction to simplify. However, it was pointed out that the domain of y cannot be found by considering the domain of sin2x/sin2a. Instead, by letting \beta=\sin 2x/\sin 2a and plotting y vs. \beta, the range of \beta can be determined and then used to find the range of y.
zorro

Homework Statement

I got this expression while solving a problem.

(y+1)/(y-1)=sin2x/sin2a

we need to find the range of y

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

here y=(sin2x+sin2a)/(sin2x-sin2a)

Numerator of RHS lies between sin2a-1 and 1+sin2a
Denominator lies between -1-sin2a and 1-sin2a

so RHS lies between (sin2a-1)/(-1-sin2a) and (1+sin2a)/(1-sin2a)

on solving I got y lies between tan^2 (45-a) and tan^2 (45+a)

but the answer is opposite (i.e. y does not lie between them).
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you remember that if a< x< b then (1/b)< 1/x< (1/a)? That, of course, is assuming that all numbers are positive. Here, since the denominator lies between -1- sin(2a) and 1- sin(2a) it can be both negative and positive and, for some x, will be 0. Of course, if the denominator goes to 0, the fraction goes to infinity so the domain can't be "between" two values.

We have to find the range of y. Not its domain.

One thing that could possibly help you with this is the formulae:
[tex]
\sin A+\sin B=2\sin\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)\cos\left(\frac{a-b}{2}\right)
[/tex]
And
[tex]
\sin A-\sin B=2\cos\left(\frac{a+b}{2}\right)\sin\left(\frac{a-b}{2}\right)
[/tex]
The only question is now, is what is the domain of y? Once you can tell us this then we can determine the range of y

Let [itex]\beta=\sin 2x/\sin 2a[/itex]. Then

[tex]y=\frac{\beta+1}{\beta-1}[/tex]

Try plotting y vs. β and then consider what the range of β is. Then perhaps you'll understand HallsofIvy's point.

vela said:
Let [itex]\beta=\sin 2x/\sin 2a[/itex]. Then

[tex]y=\frac{\beta+1}{\beta-1}[/tex]

Try plotting y vs. β and then consider what the range of β is. Then perhaps you'll understand HallsofIvy's point.

Thanks, I understood this time.

1. What are trigonometric identities?

Trigonometric identities are equations that involve trigonometric functions (such as sine, cosine, and tangent) and are true for all values of the variables involved.

2. Why are trigonometric identities useful?

Trigonometric identities are useful for simplifying complex trigonometric expressions and solving trigonometric equations. They also help establish relationships between different trigonometric functions.

3. How many types of trigonometric identities are there?

There are three main types of trigonometric identities: Pythagorean identities, reciprocal identities, and cofunction identities. Each type has multiple variations.

4. How do I prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate one side of the equation using algebraic and trigonometric properties until it is equivalent to the other side. This can involve using common trigonometric identities, simplifying expressions, and using basic algebraic rules.

5. Can I use trigonometric identities to solve equations?

Yes, you can use trigonometric identities to solve equations by simplifying the equation using identities and then solving for the variable. However, not all equations can be solved using identities, so it is important to know when to apply them.