Proving LS=RS in Trigonometry?

In summary, the problem is that I can't figure out how to change the exponents from 4 to 2. The identity I found is using the Pythagorean identity for what's inside the parentheses and seeing what happens.
tahayassen

Homework Statement

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3413/daumequation13237287425.png

Prove that LS=RS.

Homework Equations

There are no relevant equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3413/daumequation13237287425.png

Attachments

• daum_equation_1323728742571.png
    daum_equation_1323728742571.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
if LHS=RHS, then:

[tex](\cos x-\sin y)(\cos x+\sin y)=(\cos y+\sin x)(\cos y-\sin x)[/tex]

... right?
So why not expand it out and look for the usual identities?

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
if LHS=RHS, then:

[tex](\cos x-\sin y)(\cos x+\sin y)=(\cos y+\sin x)(\cos x-\sin y)[/tex]

... right?
So why not expand it out and look for the usual identities?

According to my teacher/school (I'm from Ontario), you're not allowed to work on both sides like that. You have to work on each side independent from the other. Why? I have no idea why... :(

edit: My teacher says you can't do that, because we don't know if LS=RS. We're trying to see if LS=RS by proving it.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4701/daumequation13237312394.png

That's another identity I'm having trouble with. I have no idea how to change the exponents from 4 to 2. I'm totally lost with this one. I can't even think of a first step.

Regarding your first post in this thread: do NOT multiply out the numerators. Leave them in factored form. So you have this:
[tex]\frac{(\cos x - \sin y)(\cos y + \sin x)}{cos^2 y - sin^2 x}[/tex]
Now use the Pythagorean identities to rewrite BOTH terms in the denominator.

If you figure this out, you'll probably ask, how did I know NOT to multiply out the numerator? I noticed that when you multiplied top and bottom by (cos y + sin x), that is also the numerator of the RHS. You'll see what happens by leaving the numerator in factored form.

tahayassen said:
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4701/daumequation13237312394.png

That's another identity I'm having trouble with. I have no idea how to change the exponents from 4 to 2. I'm totally lost with this one. I can't even think of a first step.
Note that on the LHS,
sin2 x + cos4 x = sin2 x + (cos2 x)2
Use the Pythagorean identity for what's inside the parentheses and see what happens.

eumyang said:
Regarding your first post in this thread: do NOT multiply out the numerators. Leave them in factored form. So you have this:
[tex]\frac{(\cos x - \sin y)(\cos y + \sin x)}{cos^2 y - sin^2 x}[/tex]
Now use the Pythagorean identities to rewrite BOTH terms in the denominator.

If you figure this out, you'll probably ask, how did I know NOT to multiply out the numerator? I noticed that when you multiplied top and bottom by (cos y + sin x), that is also the numerator of the RHS. You'll see what happens by leaving the numerator in factored form.

Amazing! I feel so happy solving these. After that, I noticed that the denominator was a difference of square, and I canceled out the factors.

eumyang said:
Note that on the LHS,
sin2 x + cos4 x = sin2 x + (cos2 x)2
Use the Pythagorean identity for what's inside the parentheses and see what happens.

Haha. I got this identity too! Thanks!

The interesting part about this one is that when I wrote it down on paper, I couldn't solve it. It wasn't until I was inputting into my equation editor to generate the images did I realize what I missed earlier.

If LHS=RHS then I can propose (what I did) - and attempt to disprove it. If the proposition is false, then surely the equation will yield an inconsistency like 2=3? Of course, not all will reduce easily.

You could then start by putting both sides over a common denominator ... then you only have to prove the numerators are the same. This will be mathematically equivalent to the above approach.

On the other one - without looking: you can reduce the power by using the half-angles.

[ah - beat me to it]

1. How do you prove that LS=RS in Trigonometry?

In order to prove LS=RS in Trigonometry, you need to use the Pythagorean Theorem. This theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. By using this theorem, you can show that the left side (LS) of the equation is equal to the right side (RS).

2. Can you give an example of proving LS=RS in Trigonometry?

One example is proving that sin²θ + cos²θ = 1. By using the Pythagorean Theorem, you can show that in a right triangle with a hypotenuse of length 1, the square of the length of the opposite side (sinθ) plus the square of the length of the adjacent side (cosθ) is equal to 1. This proves that LS (sin²θ + cos²θ) is equal to RS (1).

3. What is the importance of proving LS=RS in Trigonometry?

Proving LS=RS in Trigonometry is important because it helps to confirm the relationships and identities between trigonometric functions. These proofs also allow for the development of new mathematical concepts and formulas, as well as providing a deeper understanding of the principles of Trigonometry.

4. What are the steps to proving LS=RS in Trigonometry?

The steps to proving LS=RS in Trigonometry vary depending on the specific equation or identity being proven. However, generally the steps involve using known trigonometric identities and properties, manipulating the equation or expression, and showing that both sides are equal in value.

5. Are there any tips for proving LS=RS in Trigonometry?

Some tips for proving LS=RS in Trigonometry include having a good understanding of basic trigonometric functions and identities, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to help with the proof, and breaking down the steps into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also important to double check your work and make sure that both sides of the equation are indeed equal.