1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Identity

1. Dec 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3413/daumequation13237287425.png [Broken]

Prove that LS=RS.

2. Relevant equations

There are no relevant equations.

3. The attempt at a solution

http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/3413/daumequation13237287425.png [Broken]

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2011 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

if LHS=RHS, then:

[tex](\cos x-\sin y)(\cos x+\sin y)=(\cos y+\sin x)(\cos y-\sin x)[/tex]

... right?
    So why not expand it out and look for the usual identities?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2011
  4. Dec 12, 2011 #3
    According to my teacher/school (I'm from Ontario), you're not allowed to work on both sides like that. You have to work on each side independent from the other. Why? I have no idea why... :(

edit: My teacher says you can't do that, because we don't know if LS=RS. We're trying to see if LS=RS by proving it.

5. Dec 12, 2011 #4
    http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/4701/daumequation13237312394.png [Broken]

That's another identity I'm having trouble with. I have no idea how to change the exponents from 4 to 2. I'm totally lost with this one. I can't even think of a first step.

6. Dec 12, 2011 #5

eumyang

Homework Helper

Regarding your first post in this thread: do NOT multiply out the numerators. Leave them in factored form. So you have this:
    [tex]\frac{(\cos x - \sin y)(\cos y + \sin x)}{cos^2 y - sin^2 x}[/tex]
    Now use the Pythagorean identities to rewrite BOTH terms in the denominator.

If you figure this out, you'll probably ask, how did I know NOT to multiply out the numerator? I noticed that when you multiplied top and bottom by (cos y + sin x), that is also the numerator of the RHS. You'll see what happens by leaving the numerator in factored form.

7. Dec 12, 2011 #6

eumyang

Homework Helper

Note that on the LHS,
    sin2 x + cos4 x = sin2 x + (cos2 x)2
    Use the Pythagorean identity for what's inside the parentheses and see what happens.

8. Dec 12, 2011 #7
    Amazing! I feel so happy solving these. After that, I noticed that the denominator was a difference of square, and I cancelled out the factors.

9. Dec 12, 2011 #8
    Haha. I got this identity too! Thanks!

The interesting part about this one is that when I wrote it down on paper, I couldn't solve it. It wasn't until I was inputting into my equation editor to generate the images did I realize what I missed earlier.

10. Dec 12, 2011 #9

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

If LHS=RHS then I can propose (what I did) - and attempt to disprove it. If the proposition is false, then surely the equation will yield an inconsistency like 2=3? Of course, not all will reduce easily.

You could then start by putting both sides over a common denominator ... then you only have to prove the numerators are the same. This will be mathematically equivalent to the above approach.

On the other one - without looking: you can reduce the power by using the half-angles.

[ah - beat me to it]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook