1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Identity

1. May 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Prove that:
    tan^2∅/tan∅ - 1 + cot^2∅/cot∅ - 1 = 1 + sec∅cosec∅

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have solved the question taking tan∅ = sin∅/cos∅.
    But I want to solve it some other way.

2. jcsd
  3. May 5, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What other way??
    Why aren't you happy with your solution?

4. May 5, 2012 #3

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What you wrote for the left hand side is literally (tan^2∅/tan∅) - 1 + (cot^2∅/cot∅) - 1, which is equivalent to tan∅ + cot∅ - 2 .

Assuming that you meant [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\tan^2(\phi)}{\tan(\phi)-1}+\frac{\cot^2(\phi)}{\cot(\phi)-1}=1+\sec(\phi)\csc(\phi)\ ,[/itex]

yes there is another way. --- it's no better, but looks interesting enough. Even with it, eventually you will change tan to sin/cos or perhaps tan to sec/csc.

Change cot(ϕ) to 1/tan(ϕ) . Then multiply the numerator & denominator of the second fraction by -tan(ϕ) --- that will give you a common denominator. You can then get a difference of cubes in the numerator ...

5. May 5, 2012 #4
    Thanks, I got the answer. But I have got one more question:

How to prove that slopes of perpendicular lines on graph paper have a product equal to -1 ?

6. May 6, 2012 #5

What is the angle(acute) between two lines of slopes say, m1 and m2?
    When will they become perpendicular then?

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  7. May 6, 2012 #6
    No idea !!!

8. May 6, 2012 #7
    Okay hmm, try drawing out two lines with a general angle θ between them. Say the angle the first line makes with the positive x axis is A and the second line makes an angle B, now try finding a trignometrical relation between θ, A and B. (Hint: use the property of external angles)

9. May 6, 2012 #8
    I have attached a pic. Tell me if it is like that.

Attached Files:

10. May 6, 2012 #9
    The x axis is not necessarily where the two lines meet. So you can draw them cutting the x axis at different points, and such that they intersect somewhere arbitarily on the xy plane, for the sake of a more general result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook