Proving Trigonometric Identity: tan(x/2) = (1-cos(x))/sin(x)

In summary, the problem was trying to find an equation for tan(x/2). Two people attempted to solve the equation and both failed. One person suggested using trig functions of x/2 to express the right-hand side, but the other person said that the equation might be easier to find if the right-hand side were expressed in terms of trig functions of x/2.
Rectifier
Gold Member

The problem

Show that the left side is equal to right side
## tan (\frac{x}{2}) = \frac{1-cos(x)}{sin(x)} ##​

The attempt
##\tan(\frac{x}{2}) = \frac{ sin(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos (\frac{x}{2}) } = \frac{ sin^2(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos ^2 (\frac{x}{2}) } = \frac{\frac{1-cos(x)}{2}}{\frac{1+cos(x)}{2}} = \frac{1-cos(x)}{1+cos(x)} ## Fail :,(​

Physics news on Phys.org
Your second inequality is invalid.

andrewkirk said:
Made one more attempt but failed too:
##\frac{1-\cos(x)}{\sin(x)} \\ \frac{\sin^2(x)+\cos^2(x)-\cos(x)}{\sin(x)} \\ \frac{\sin^2(x)+(\cos(x)-1)\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}##

The left hand side of your identity is written in terms of trig functions of x/2. Don't you think it might help to start by trying to express the right-hand side in terms of trig functions of x/2?

Likes Rectifier
Rectifier said:
The problem
Show that the left side is equal to right side
## tan (\frac{x}{2}) = \frac{1-cos(x)}{sin(x)} ##​

The attempt
##\tan(\frac{x}{2}) = \frac{ sin(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos (\frac{x}{2}) } = \frac{ sin^2(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos ^2 (\frac{x}{2}) } = \frac{\frac{1-cos(x)}{2}}{\frac{1+cos(x)}{2}} = \frac{1-cos(x)}{1+cos(x)} ## Fail :,(​

andrewkirk said:
He means at the 2nd equals sign. It looks like you squared the numerator and denominator, which almost always gives you an expression with a different value. So ##\frac{ sin(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos (\frac{x}{2}) } \ne \frac{ sin^2(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos ^2 (\frac{x}{2}) }##, in general.

Likes Rectifier
Mark44 said:
He means at the 2nd equals sign. It looks like you squared the numerator and denominator, which almost always gives you an expression with a different value. So ##\frac{ sin(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos (\frac{x}{2}) } \ne \frac{ sin^2(\frac{x}{2}) }{ cos ^2 (\frac{x}{2}) }##, in general.
Thank you for the clarification I got that part and abandoned the idea - hence attempt 2.
andrewkirk said:
The left hand side of your identity is written in terms of trig functions of x/2. Don't you think it might help to start by trying to express the right-hand side in terms of trig functions of x/2?
Yeah, I am not sure what identities to use since these are the only ones I have on my mind right now
##sin^2\frac{x}{2}=\frac{1-cos(x)}{2}## and
##cos^2\frac{x}{2}=\frac{1+cos(x)}{2}##

Any tips?

Do you know the formulas for ##\sin 2\theta## and ##\cos 2\theta##? (If not, search them - they're everywhere on the net, or rearrange the identities you already have in your last post)

How can you use those formulas to write ##\sin x## in terms of trig functions of ##\frac{x}{2}##?

And yes, when I said your second inequality I meant your second equality. I have this odd thing with sometimes accidentally saying the opposite of what I mean. It's scary when I'm giving directions in a car.

andrewkirk said:
Do you know the formulas for ##\sin 2\theta## and ##\cos 2\theta##?
Yes, I know these.

andrewkirk said:
How can you use those formulas to write ##\sin x## in terms of trig functions of ##\frac{x}{2}##?
Which ones whould I rewrite?

is it
##sin^2\frac{x}{2}=\frac{1-cos(x)}{2}## and
##cos^2\frac{x}{2}=\frac{1+cos(x)}{2}## ?

So here is one more attempt (perhaps a solution):
##tan\frac{x}{2} = \frac{1-cos(x)}{sin(x)}##​

substitute ## x = 2v \Leftrightarrow v=x/2 ##

## tan\frac{x}{2} = tan\frac{2v}{2} = tan(v) = \frac{sin(v)}{cos(v)} = \frac{1-cos(2v)}{sin(2v)} \\ \frac{cos^2v+sin^2v-(cos^2v-sin^2v)}{2sin(v)cos(v)} = \frac{2sin^2v}{2sin(v)cos(v)} = \frac{sin(v)}{cos(v)} = tan(v) = tan(\frac{x}{2}) ##​

in the last step i substitute ##v=x/2 ##

I think you've got it, but I can't follow the way you've laid it out. You start with ##\tan\frac{x}{2}##, transform that several times and then end up with what you started with!

The last item on your first line is equal to the RHS of the desired identity, so you could just start there, or with the equality ##\frac{1-\cos x}{\sin x}=\frac{1-\cos 2v}{\sin 2v}## and then carry on through the second line until you end up with the LHS of the identity.

By the way, did you know that if you put a backslash \ in front of a trig function in latex (ie write \sin rather than sin) it recognises the trig function , writes it more nicely and spaces it out so you won't have to put brackets around whatever you are taking the sin of, ie ##\sin 2v## instead of ##sin 2v## or ##sin(2v)##?

What is a trigonometric identity?

A trigonometric identity is an equation that is true for all values of the variables involved. It relates basic trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent, to each other.

Why are trigonometric identities important?

Trigonometric identities are important because they allow us to simplify and solve complex trigonometric equations and expressions. They also help us understand the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

How do you prove a trigonometric identity?

To prove a trigonometric identity, you need to manipulate the given equation using algebraic techniques and properties of trigonometric functions. You must show that the left side of the equation is equal to the right side for all values of the variables involved.

What are some common trigonometric identities?

Some common trigonometric identities include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, sum and difference identities, and product-to-sum identities.

How can trigonometric identities be used in real-life applications?

Trigonometric identities have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and astronomy. They can be used to solve problems involving angles, distances, and forces, as well as to model and predict natural phenomena.