1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Integral 2

1. May 23, 2009 #1

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Part 2, leading on from https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=315803"

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given [itex]f(x)=cotx+tanx[/itex] find
    [tex]\int{[f(x)]^2}dx[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've attempted many different varieties of approaches to the problem. Trying to use the substitution method for sinx, cosx, tanx.... and a few others... re-arranging the function, trying to get it into a more convenient form... trying to use some of the ideas given in the first thread... No luck.

Basically, it has all been a bunch of guessing and hoping something useful will appear. Plus another bunch of frustration on my part, but I wont get into the details of that xD

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. May 24, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Expand out [f(x)]^2

use [itex]cot^2x+1=cosec^2x[/itex] and [itex]tan^2x+1=sec^2x[/itex]

4. May 24, 2009 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Thanks rockfreak :smile:

It turns out to be tanx-cotx. I also obtained [itex]\int{sec^2x+cosec^2x}dx[/itex] through another longer method but it strike me at that moment that I can take the integral of each of these. (I think I'll keep my standard integral formulas close-by next time).

Thanks again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook