Trigonometric Integral Help: Solving for a<1 Using Complex Contour Method

In summary, the conversation is about solving a complex contour integral for the function cosx/(a-cosx) over the interval from 0 to 2π, where a is a parameter. The integral is converted into a contour integral over z=e^(ix) and can be easily evaluated for a>1. However, for a<1, the two poles of the function are on the unit circle and off the real axis, causing difficulties in solving the integral. One suggestion is to use the transformation u=tan(x/2) to simplify the integral. It is noted that for a<1, the integral will diverge. The conversation concludes with a request for the principal value for a<1.
von_biber
need some assistance with the following integral:

\int_0^{2\pi} cosx/(a-cosx), a-parameter (say a>0)

i've converted it into a complex contour integral over z=e^(ix):

~ \int_{|z|=1} dz (z^2+1)/[z(z^2-2az+1)]

which is easily evaluated for a>1. my question regards a<1 - i am not sure how to solve it in this case, because the the 2 poles

z_1=a+Sqrt[a^2-1], z_2=a-Sqrt[a^2-1]

are exactly on the unit circle and off the real axis. thanks for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm..is it really necessay to venture out in complexity here?
Rational expressions in the trig. functions are easily handled by the transformation u=tan(x/2).

it get's a bit complicated with this tan(x/2) substitution, with complex substitution it's very easily evaluated for a>1 and i'd like to find out what happens for a<1.

Well, for a<1, the integral will readily diverge, so no wonder if you get into some problems.

anyway, what is the principal value for a<1?
thanks for your help, btw. i really appreciate it.

1. What is the purpose of using the complex contour method to solve for a<1 in trigonometric integrals?

The complex contour method allows us to transform a difficult trigonometric integral into a simpler integral that can be evaluated using techniques from complex analysis. This allows us to solve for a<1 in a more efficient and accurate manner.

2. How does the complex contour method work?

The complex contour method involves choosing a contour in the complex plane that encloses the singularities of the integrand. Then, using Cauchy's integral theorem, we can rewrite the original integral as a sum of integrals along the chosen contour. By choosing the right contour and using appropriate substitutions, we can often simplify the integral and solve for a<1.

3. Can the complex contour method be used for any trigonometric integral?

While the complex contour method is a powerful tool for solving certain types of trigonometric integrals, it may not be applicable to all integrals. It is important to carefully consider the integrand and its singularities before deciding if the complex contour method is an appropriate approach.

4. Are there any limitations to using the complex contour method?

One limitation of the complex contour method is that it can only be used to solve for a<1 in integrals involving trigonometric functions. It may also be challenging to find the appropriate contour for certain integrands, and the calculations involved can be quite complex.

5. How can I determine if using the complex contour method is the best approach for solving a trigonometric integral?

It is helpful to have a good understanding of complex analysis and the properties of trigonometric functions before attempting to use the complex contour method. Additionally, it is important to carefully analyze the integrand and consider other possible methods of integration before deciding if the complex contour method is the most efficient approach.