Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Integrals

1. Jan 25, 2004 #1
    I've been able to do all of them up until these two:

1) [tex] \int x\cos^{2}x dx [/tex]

and

2) [tex] \int [/tex] from [tex]-\pi[/tex] to [tex]\pi[/tex] of [tex] \sin^{137}x dx [/tex]

I've been using half angle formulas where (cos x)^2 = (1/2)(1 + cos 2x) and (sin x)^2 = (1/2)(1 - cos 2x)

I just can't figure those two out. Any help would be highly appreciated

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2004 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here's some hints:

1) Do you know how to integrate [itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex]?

2) A large number (like 137) is often a hint that there's something more interesting at stake. Try some smaller powers and see if you can recognize a pattern, and then prove it.

P.S. if you were wondering how to make the integral, it's this:

[tex]
    \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{137} x \, dx
    [/tex]

4. Jan 25, 2004 #3

If this was last semester, yes, but now I can't remember. I know [tex]\int e^x \, dx[/tex] equals [tex]e^x + c[/tex]. Substitution plays a role, but I just can't see how.

I got nothing. Not even a hunch.

5. Jan 25, 2004 #4

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1) Do you remember integration by parts?

2) So what smaller powers have you tried and what were the values of the integrals?

6. Jan 25, 2004 #5
    Yes, let me try to solve your equation now.

[itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex]

u = [tex]x[/tex] du = [tex]dx[/tex]
    dv = [tex]e^x[/tex] v = [tex]e^x[/tex]

Therefore [itex]\int x e^x \, dx[/itex] = [tex]x e^x - \int e^x dx[/tex] which in turn equals [tex]x e^x - 2x e^x + 2x + c[/tex]

Correct?

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{137} x \, dx[/tex] = [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^{135} x \sin^{2} x \, dx[/tex] and [tex]\sin^{2} x = 1/2(1 - \cos 2x)[/tex]

I'm slowly getting it. Thanks for the help as far.

7. Jan 25, 2004 #6
    Back to #1 [tex] \int x\cos^{2}x dx [/tex]

u = [tex]x[/tex] du = [tex]dx[/tex]
    dv = [tex]\cos^{2} x[/tex] v = [tex]\sin^{2} x[/tex]

= [tex]x \sin^{2} x - \int \sin^{2} x dx[/tex]
    = [tex]x \sin^{2} x - (1/2)\int (1 - \cos 2x) dx[/tex]
    = [tex]x \sin^{2} x - (x/2) - ( \sin 2x / 4) + c[/tex]

how's that look?

8. Jan 25, 2004 #7

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, [itex]x e^x - \int e^x \, dx = x e^x - e^x + C[/itex], but I think you knew that and just made a typo. And you should really always include the [itex]dx[/itex] part, so you say that [itex]dv = e^x \, dx[/itex].

Now, when you attacked your actual problem, you have [itex]dv = \cos^2 x \, dx[/itex]. You got [itex]v = sin^2 x[/itex], but that doesn't work because [itex]dv = 2 \sin x \cos x \, dx[/itex]! Remember this says that the derivative of [itex]v[/itex] has to be [itex]\cos^2 x[/itex], so we need to integrate to find [itex]v[/itex]! In other words:

[tex]v = \int \cos^2 x \, dx[/tex]

For problem 2:

There is a really "obvious" method for this problem that takes advantage of the shape of your integrand and the domain of integration... one you'll recognize with a little practice. I'm trying not to spoil the exercise by just giving you the answer, which is why I'm suggesting to try some small cases; I want you to find:

[tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^1 x \, dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2 x \, dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^3 x \, dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^4 x \, dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^5 x \, dx[/tex]

That should probably be enough to see the relevant pattern.

(Just to check, you have learned how to integrate odd powers of the sine function right?)

9. Jan 25, 2004 #8

[tex]v = \int \cos^2 x \, dx[/tex] = [tex]x/2 + \sin 2x/4[/tex] ??

Basically what you're saying is that no matter the number sine is raised to, the integrand between [tex]-\pi[/tex] and [tex]\pi[/tex] will always be the same?? Therefore I should just use [tex]\int_{-\pi}^{\pi} \sin^2 x \, dx[/tex] and solve that? Yes? Maybe? Not even close? Slowly, but surely

10. Jan 25, 2004 #9
    They all equal zero

11. Jan 25, 2004 #10
    ∫xcos^2x dx = x[0.5(x + sin2x/2)] - ∫[0.5(x + sin2x/2)]dx

= ... - (x^2/4 - cos[2x]/8)

12. Jan 25, 2004 #11

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yyou got v right.

Actually, only the odd powers of sin turn out to integrate to zero (and 137 is an odd power); can you figure out why?

13. Jan 26, 2004 #12
    Simply it is an odd function and they are symmetrical w.r.t Origin or in (I &III) coordinate hence one portion will be above x axis and other below x axis with equal magnitude hence the result would be zero

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?