Trigonometric Integrals: Solving ∫ cosx+sin2x/sinx

In summary, the given integral of cosx+sin2X/sinX can be simplified using trigonometric identities to cos(x)/sin(x) - 2cos(x), which can then be easily integrated.
afcwestwarrior

Homework Statement

∫ cosx+sin 2X/sinX

Homework Equations

sin^2 x =1/2 (1-cos2x), cos^2=1/2 (1+cos2x)
if cosine is odd, u sin x, cos^2 x=1-sin^x) , if sine is odd u=cosx sin^2x =1-cos^2x)

The Attempt at a Solution

i'm not sure how to start this one because I've never came across a function like this before

Physics news on Phys.org
First, clarify. Do you mean cos(x)+ (sin(2x)/sin(x)) or do you mean (cos(x)+ sin(2x))/sin(x)?

Along with formulas for sin2(x) and cos2(x) you also need sin(2x)= 2 sin(x)cos(x).

afcwestwarrior said:
∫ cosx+sin 2X/sinX

Hi afcwestwarrior! :smile:

Hint: one of the standard trigonometric identities …

sin2X = 2 sinX cosX :smile:

I mean (cos(x)+sin(2x))/ sin(x)

so it would be (cos(x) + 2 sin(x)cos(x))/sin(x)

Thanks guys

so would it be like this
cos(x)/sin(x) - 2 sin(x) cos(x)/ sin (x)= cos(x)/sin(x) - 2cos(x)

isn't cosX/sinx= to something, i forgot

afcwestwarrior said:
so would it be like this
cos(x)/sin(x) - 2 sin(x) cos(x)/ sin (x)= cos(x)/sin(x) - 2cos(x)

That's right! :smile:

And both those are easy to integrate (hint: one's a ln).

I already found the answer thanks once again.

1. What are trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals are integrals that involve trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, and tangent. These integrals often arise in calculus problems that involve circular motion, harmonic motion, or other periodic phenomena.

2. How do you solve trigonometric integrals?

There are several methods for solving trigonometric integrals, including using trigonometric identities, substitution, and integration by parts. It is important to have a good understanding of trigonometric functions and their properties to effectively solve these integrals.

3. What are some common trigonometric identities used in solving integrals?

Some common trigonometric identities used in solving integrals include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and half-angle identities. These identities can help simplify trigonometric expressions and make them easier to integrate.

4. Are there any tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals?

One tip for solving tricky trigonometric integrals is to try using trigonometric substitution. This involves substituting a trigonometric function for a variable in the integral and then using trigonometric identities to simplify the integral. Another tip is to try breaking the integral into smaller pieces and using different methods for each piece.

5. What are some real-world applications of trigonometric integrals?

Trigonometric integrals have many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, and geometry. They can be used to model and analyze systems involving circular or oscillatory motion, such as a swinging pendulum or a vibrating guitar string. They are also used in calculating areas and volumes of curved shapes.