Improving Trigonometric Integration

In summary, the integral \int\frac{secx}{(tanx)^2}dx can be simplified to \int\frac{cosx}{(sinx)^2}dx by using the identities secx= 1/cosx and tanx= sinx/cosx. Further methods can be used to solve this integral.
ada0713

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{secx}{(tanx)^2}[/tex]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried all the u subs u=tanx and u=secx
but neither worked.
Should I used other methods?
Please help me with the start!

Physics news on Phys.org
ada0713 said:

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\frac{secx}{(tanx)^2}[/tex]dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried all the u subs u=tanx and u=secx
but neither worked.
Should I used other methods?
Please help me with the start!

You might try reducing this to sine and cosine. sec x= 1/cos x and tan x = sin x/cos x so this is
[tex]\int \frac{1}{cos x}\frac{cos^2 x}{sin^2 x} dx= \int \frac{cos x}{sin^2 x} dx[/tex]

Anything come to mind now?

1. What is trigonometric integration?

Trigonometric integration is a method of finding the antiderivative or indefinite integral of a function that contains trigonometric terms. It involves using specific trigonometric identities and substitution techniques to simplify the integral and solve for the antiderivative.

2. Why is trigonometric integration important?

Trigonometric integration is important because it allows us to solve a wide range of mathematical problems involving trigonometric functions. It is also a fundamental tool in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, astronomy, and signal processing.

3. How do you approach a trigonometric integral?

The first step in approaching a trigonometric integral is to identify the type of trigonometric function involved and then apply the corresponding trigonometric identity to simplify the integral. From there, you can use substitution or integration by parts to further simplify the integral and eventually solve for the antiderivative.

4. What are some common trigonometric identities used in integration?

Some common trigonometric identities used in integration include the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, half angle identities, and power reducing identities. It is important to be familiar with these identities and know when to apply them in order to successfully solve a trigonometric integral.

5. Are there any tips for solving tricky trigonometric integrals?

One tip for solving tricky trigonometric integrals is to carefully analyze the integral and look for any patterns or relationships between the terms. Additionally, it can be helpful to use trigonometric substitutions, such as the sine or cosine substitution, to simplify the integral and make it more manageable. Practice and familiarity with various trigonometric identities will also improve your ability to solve tricky integrals.