• Start date

Homework Statement

[/B]
##\lim x\rightarrow \frac{\pi }{4} (\frac{1-\tan x}{\sin x - \cos x})##

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
By assuming y = x-π/4 , the limit become :

##
\lim y\rightarrow 0 (\frac{1- \tan (y+\frac{\pi}{4})}{\sin (y+\frac{\pi}{4}) - \cos (y+\frac{\pi}{4})})
= \lim y\rightarrow 0 (\frac{1- (y + (\frac{\pi}{4})) (\frac{\tan (y+\frac{\pi}{4})}{y+(\frac{\pi}{4})})}{(y + (\frac{\pi}{4})) \frac{\sin (y+\frac{\pi}{4})}{(y + (\frac{\pi}{4}))} - \cos (y+\frac{\pi}{4})})
= (\frac{1-\frac{\pi}{4}(1)}{\frac{\pi}{4}(1)-\frac{\sqrt{2}}{2}})##

But, using the identity tan x = sin x/ cos x and by graph, I get the answer is ##-\sqrt{2}##

So, please tell me the wrong that I did..
Why can't we just use the theorem lim x-> 0 tan x/x = 1 and lim x->0 sin x/x =1 ??
I don't understand the steps to solve a trigonometric limit, because using different methods, the answer can be different

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Why can't we just use the theorem lim x-> 0 tan x/x = 1 and lim x->0 sin x/x =1 ??
Because the argument of the tangent is not what is approaching zero. You need the Taylor expansion of the expressions around y=0, not x = 0.

Likes terryds
I don't understand the steps to solve a trigonometric limit, because using different methods, the answer can be different
No. Using a different method should not result in a different limit value. If you use two different methods to evaluate a limit, and get two different answers, then you have made a mistake in one (at least) of those methods.

Likes terryds