Finding Trigonometric Limits through Calculator Techniques

In summary, the problem asks for a 'calculator technique' to find the value of f^n(x) for any given value of n. The graph of f(x) = cos(x) appears to converge to a certain value as n approaches infinity, and this is called a fixed point of the function.
lightningz

Homework Statement

Let f(x)=cos (x). Denote f^2(x) = ff(x), f^3(x)=fff(x) and so on.
For x=100 radians, find f^n(x) for n=1 to 20
Develop a calculator technique to find f^n(x) for any given value of n. Hence, find correct to 7 decimal places, the limit of f^n(x) for x= 100 radians and n approaching infinity.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

sorry,i have no idea how to tackle this question.can any1 help me?=)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Any vague ideas? The problem just asks for a 'calculator technique'. I would just set my calculator for radian mode, put in 100 and then just keep pushing 'cos', 'cos', 'cos'...

oh yeah...i tot we need to develop another different formula or method to calculate the value rather than using the calculator and cos cos cos.

hi lightningz

so use the caclulator to see what happens with repeated applications, then see if you can work out why...

conceptually, you could imgine the process as taking:
x1 point = 100radians, y1 = cos(x 1)

then transfer that back to the x-axis using the line y = x, so x2 = y1 = cosx, now repeat the process
y2 = cos(x 2)= cos(cos(x 1))

try drawing it out for a few cycles (after the first it will be near the y axis)
is there any pattern you can see? can you describe it?

the graph become smaller and smaller(ie converging to a certain value) and when n=infinty, it actually becomes a straight line. in this case, limit of cos^n(x),(x--->infinity), for all value of x is that particular value..that's what i got...urm..is that what the question want?=)

which graph?

i assume you are plotting:
[tex] f^n(100) = Cos(f^{n-1}(100)) [/tex] against n

did you try what i mentioned? plot the line f(x) = cos(x) and g(x) = x and trace the operation of the function by moving a point between those 2 lines, this should illuminate what is going on

based on your question its probably enough to hit cos on your calculator enough times that the numbers down to the seventh decimal stop changing... probably about 40 or so times (easier in a speadhseet)

though there is a bit more going on here - have you heard of a fixed point of a function before?

sorry.i never heard of fixed point.
well the intersection point of the two graphs f(x)= cos (x) and g(x)=x..i got it by plotting in my calculator..which is the value for limit of cos^n(x),(x--->infinity), is that point called fixed point? thanks a lot for helping all the time =)

fixed point of a function where f(x) = x, so repeated application of the function does not cahneg the value at teh fixed point

have a look here, it actually has a picture of f(x) = cos(x) as I was trying to explain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed_point_(mathematics )

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks.i think i understood already =) such a nice guy you are..:wink:

1. What is a trigonometric limit?

A trigonometric limit is a mathematical concept that is used to determine the behavior of a function as the independent variable approaches a specific value. It is typically used to find the value of a function at a point where it is not defined or to analyze the behavior of a function near a point of discontinuity.

2. How do you find the limit of a trigonometric function?

To find the limit of a trigonometric function, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, or trigonometric identities. You can also use L'Hopital's rule or apply the properties of limits to simplify the expression and evaluate the limit.

3. What are the common trigonometric limits?

The common trigonometric limits are:
- sin x / x = 1
- cos x / x = 0
- tan x / x = 1
- (1-cos x) / x = 0
- (1-cos x) / x^2 = 1/2
- (sin x) / x = 0
- (sin x) / x^2 = 1/6
- (tan x) / x^3 = 1/3
- (sec x) / x = 1
- (cot x) / x = -1/3
- (csc x) / x = -1

4. Can you use trigonometric limits to solve real-world problems?

Yes, trigonometric limits can be used to solve real-world problems such as finding the maximum or minimum value of a function, finding the velocity or acceleration of an object, and determining the stability of a system.

5. How do you know if a trigonometric limit exists?

A trigonometric limit exists if the left-hand limit and the right-hand limit are equal. This means that as the independent variable approaches the specific value from both sides, the function approaches the same value. If the left-hand and right-hand limits are not equal, the limit does not exist.