1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Trigonometric limits

1. Dec 27, 2009 #1
    Im trying to find

lim (2x+cos x)/x as x --> inf.

I've started out by multiplying with the conjugate.

[(2x+cos x)(2x-cos x)] / x(2x-cos x) =

=(4x2-cos2x)/(2x2-x cos x)

But now I'm lost - any hints?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2009 #2
    Don't do that. Just expand (2x + cos x)/x = 2 + (cos x/x), then take the limit.

4. Dec 27, 2009 #3
    But what do I do about cos x/x as x--> inf? That isn't a limit I'm familiar with. My sources say it's 0, but is there any proof?

5. Dec 27, 2009 #4
    Remember that cos x is a bounded function; then what is the limit of 1/x?

6. Dec 27, 2009 #5
    im not sure of what a bounded function is, but you made me think:

lim cos x / x = lim cos x * lim 1/x

since lim 1/x is 0, lim cos x / x should be 0 as well. right? great stuff - thanks!

7. Dec 27, 2009 #6
    You almost got it. Just don't write lim cos(x), when x goes to infinity, because it doesn't exist. Try this instead: a bounded function is one that satisfies |f(x)| < M, for some M and all x in f's domain; cos(x) is an example: |cos(x)| <= 1, for all x in R.

Then there is a theorem that states that the limit of the product of a bounded function times another that goes to 0, must be 0 as well, and this is exactly what you have here.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook