1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Problem

1. Feb 4, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem is either 1+[(cosx)/2]
    1+[cos (x/2)]

The first one looks unworkable so I'm going with the second...unless any of you see that the first one looks normal....

2. Relevant equations

I derived/proved some below....

3. The attempt at a solution

cos(x/2)= sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2]

(1+sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2])^2

and now I'm obviously stuck...
    Thanks for all your help!
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

What are you trying to get it to? Simplify can mean alot of different things when dealing with trig.
  4. Feb 5, 2007 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Those are expressions, not "problems". What do you want to do with them? And what do you mean by "is either"? Do you get to choose?

No, this is clearly untrue when [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], for example. Perhaps you were thinking of cos(2x)= 2 cos2(x)- 1
    No, [itex]cos(x/2)= \sqrt{(cos(x)+ 1)/2}[/itex]

Again, what are you trying to do? If the problem is to simplify either 1+ (cos(x))/2 or 1+ cos(x/2), they both look like they are already about as simple as you are going to make them!
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  5. Feb 5, 2007 #4
    Sorry for all of the confusion.

Simplify simply means to change the form of the problem to a more "simplified state"...in my class any how.

As you can see I am quite elementary in my trigonometry....however I did manage to simplify the problem...when I have my work with me I might post how I finally finished it.

Thank you for everything and your time, although I am sorry that it took time and that it was impossible for you to help me because my mathematical errors.

Your insight is fantastic. Have a fantastic evening.
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?