Simplifying Trigonometric Problems | Proven Equations & Solutions

In summary, the conversation was about simplifying two expressions, 1+ (cos(x))/2 and 1+ cos(x/2). The person was unsure which one was more "normal" and asked for help simplifying them. The conversation also included a discussion of the meaning of "simplify" and the person clarified that they were looking to change the form of the problem to a more simple state. The expert summarized the conversation and acknowledged that they were unable to help due to the person's mathematical errors.
imbroglio

Homework Statement

Simplify
The problem is either 1+[(cosx)/2]
or
1+[cos (x/2)]

The first one looks unworkable so I'm going with the second...unless any of you see that the first one looks normal...

Homework Equations

I derived/proved some below...

The Attempt at a Solution

1+cos(x/2)
cos^2x=2cos(x/2)-1
cos(x/2)= sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2]

(1+sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2])^2

[1+cos^2x+1]/2

(2+cos^2x)/2

[2+cos^2x]/2

[(1-2sin^2x)+2]/2

(1/2)-sin^2x

and now I'm obviously stuck...
Thanks for all your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you trying to get it to? Simplify can mean a lot of different things when dealing with trig.

imbroglio said:

Homework Statement

Simplify
The problem is either 1+[(cosx)/2]
or
1+[cos (x/2)]

The first one looks unworkable so I'm going with the second...unless any of you see that the first one looks normal...
Those are expressions, not "problems". What do you want to do with them? And what do you mean by "is either"? Do you get to choose?

Homework Equations

I derived/proved some below...

The Attempt at a Solution

1+cos(x/2)
cos^2x=2cos(x/2)-1
No, this is clearly untrue when [itex]x= \pi/2[/itex], for example. Perhaps you were thinking of cos(2x)= 2 cos2(x)- 1
cos(x/2)= sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2
No, [itex]cos(x/2)= \sqrt{(cos(x)+ 1)/2}[/itex]

(1+sqrt [(cos^2x+1)/2])^2

[1+cos^2x+1]/2

(2+cos^2x)/2

[2+cos^2x]/2

[(1-2sin^2x)+2]/2

(1/2)-sin^2x

and now I'm obviously stuck...
Thanks for all your help!
Again, what are you trying to do? If the problem is to simplify either 1+ (cos(x))/2 or 1+ cos(x/2), they both look like they are already about as simple as you are going to make them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for all of the confusion.

Simplify simply means to change the form of the problem to a more "simplified state"...in my class any how.

As you can see I am quite elementary in my trigonometry...however I did manage to simplify the problem...when I have my work with me I might post how I finally finished it.

Thank you for everything and your time, although I am sorry that it took time and that it was impossible for you to help me because my mathematical errors.

Your insight is fantastic. Have a fantastic evening.

Last edited:

1. What is a trigonometric problem?

A trigonometric problem is a mathematical problem that involves using the properties and functions of trigonometry, which is the study of triangles and their sides and angles. These problems often involve using the basic trigonometric ratios of sine, cosine, and tangent to solve for missing sides or angles of a triangle.

2. Why are trigonometric problems important?

Trigonometric problems are important because they have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and navigation. They also help to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are useful in many areas of life.

3. What are the common types of trigonometric problems?

The most common types of trigonometric problems involve finding missing sides and angles of right triangles, solving oblique triangles using the law of sines and cosines, and using trigonometric functions to model and solve real-world problems.

4. How do you solve a trigonometric problem?

To solve a trigonometric problem, you need to first identify which type of problem it is and then use the appropriate trigonometric formula or function to find the missing values. It is important to draw a diagram and label all known and unknown values before solving the problem.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving trigonometric problems include using the wrong formula or function, forgetting to convert units, and rounding too early in the calculation. It is also important to check your work and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.