Proving (tan2x) - (sin2x) = (tan2x)(sin2x): Trigonometric Proof Help

In summary, to prove that (tan2x) - (sin2x) = (tan2x)(sin2x), the solution is to factor out sin(x)^2 from the left hand side and then simplify using the trig identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1. This will result in the equation (1 - cos2x)/cos2x = sin2x, which simplifies to (1 - cos2x)(sin2x) = sin2x. The final equation is then simplified to tan2x sin2x, proving that the two expressions are equal.
Faint

Homework Statement

(tan2x) - (sin2x) = (tan2x)(sin2x)

Prove these two are equal.

Homework Equations

Various trig identities, mainly tan2x = sin2x / cos2x

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried putting in Sin2x / cos2x for tan, but I don't know where to go from there.

Anyone mind helping me out?

Physics news on Phys.org
This has a really simple solution. Factor out sin(x)^2 from the left hand side and then simplify.

jgens said:
This has a really simple solution. Factor out sin(x)^2 from the left hand side and then simplify.

I don't how/where you can factor sin(x)^2 out in this case. This is what I have done to the left side thus far.

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} - \frac{sin^{2}x}{1}[/tex]

then

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} - \frac{sin^{2}xcos^{2}x}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

which ends up as

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x - sin^{2}xcos^{2}x}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

Well, using your steps, you're almost at the solution. Again, factor sin(x)^2 out of the numerator and simplify. :)

This is what I was talking about in my initial post: tan(x)^2 - sin(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 (sec(x)^2 - 1), which is easy to simplify.

jgens said:
Well, using your steps, you're almost at the solution. Again, factor sin(x)^2 out of the numerator and simplify. :)

This is what I was talking about in my initial post: tan(x)^2 - sin(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 (sec(x)^2 - 1), which is easy to simplify.

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

I'm missing something, because I still don't get it. :grumpy: What am I overlooking? Sin/Cos is equal to Tan, but then I have (1 - cos2x)/(cos2x)

Are you familiar with the trig. identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1? If you are, the solution should seem fairly obvious in both instances.

At this point I have:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = (\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x})(\frac{sin^{2}x}{1}}) [/tex]

I know that identity, but I can't see how it can be used on either side.

I'm sorry for my complete lack of ability to grasp this.

If you know that identity then you surely know 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 or similarly that sec(x)^2 - 1 = tan(x)^2.

Faint said:
At this point I have:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = (\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x})(\frac{sin^{2}x}{1}}) [/tex]

I know that identity, but I can't see how it can be used on either side.

I'm sorry for my complete lack of ability to grasp this.

Just realized this:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = \frac{sin^{2}x(sin^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

which turns into

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = \frac{sin^{2}x(1-cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

Did I do anything incorrect there? And thank you very much for your help.

Nothing there is incorrect - in fact that result should tell you something - but you should have made a connection which it appears you have still failed to make. If 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 and we have (1 - cos(x)^2)/cos(x)^2, what substitution can I make to simplify the expression?

jgens said:
Nothing there is incorrect - in fact that result should tell you something - but you should have made a connection which it appears you have still failed to make. If 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 and we have (1 - cos(x)^2)/cos(x)^2, what substitution can I make to simplify the expression?

sin(x)^2
------------ = tan(x)^2
cos(x)^2

Correct? I get confused when this happens though:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (sin^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

to

[tex]tan^{2}x\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

or does the cos(x)^2 drop?

The cos(x)^2 term does not drop but is merely factored out essentially in the tan(x)^2 term; hence, your resulting equation should read tan(x)^2 sin(x)^2. Q.E.D.

jgens said:
The cos(x)^2 term does not drop but is merely factored out essentially in the tan(x)^2 term; hence, your resulting equation should read tan(x)^2 sin(x)^2. Q.E.D.

Okay, I understand. Thank you a lot for the great help. :)

1. What is a trigonometric proof?

A trigonometric proof is a mathematical process used to verify the relationship between trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It involves using known identities and properties to manipulate equations and arrive at a desired conclusion.

2. How do I know which trigonometric identities to use in a proof?

When approaching a trigonometric proof, it is important to be familiar with the basic trigonometric identities, such as the Pythagorean identities and the sum and difference formulas. It is also helpful to have a clear understanding of the problem and what you are trying to prove.

3. What are some common strategies for solving trigonometric proofs?

Some common strategies for solving trigonometric proofs include using algebraic manipulations, substituting known identities, and using geometric interpretations. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties and relationships between trigonometric functions.

4. How can I check my work when solving a trigonometric proof?

One way to check your work when solving a trigonometric proof is to plug in values for the given variables and see if the equations hold true. Additionally, you can double-check your calculations and make sure you have applied the correct identities and formulas.

5. Are there any tips for approaching more complex trigonometric proofs?

When faced with a more complex trigonometric proof, it can be helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable steps. It is also important to carefully read and analyze the given information and to be familiar with a variety of trigonometric identities and properties.