1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Proof Help

1. Jan 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(tan2x) - (sin2x) = (tan2x)(sin2x)

Prove these two are equal.

2. Relevant equations

Various trig identities, mainly tan2x = sin2x / cos2x

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried putting in Sin2x / cos2x for tan, but I don't know where to go from there.

Anyone mind helping me out?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2009 #2

Gold Member

This has a really simple solution. Factor out sin(x)^2 from the left hand side and then simplify.
  4. Jan 13, 2009 #3
    I don't how/where you can factor sin(x)^2 out in this case. This is what I have done to the left side thus far.

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} - \frac{sin^{2}x}{1}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x} - \frac{sin^{2}xcos^{2}x}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

which ends up as

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x - sin^{2}xcos^{2}x}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]
  5. Jan 13, 2009 #4

Gold Member

Well, using your steps, you're almost at the solution. Again, factor sin(x)^2 out of the numerator and simplify. :)

This is what I was talking about in my initial post: tan(x)^2 - sin(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 (sec(x)^2 - 1), which is easy to simplify.
  6. Jan 13, 2009 #5
    [tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

I'm missing something, because I still don't get it. :grumpy: What am I overlooking? Sin/Cos is equal to Tan, but then I have (1 - cos2x)/(cos2x)
  7. Jan 13, 2009 #6

Gold Member

Are you familiar with the trig. identity sin(x)^2 + cos(x)^2 = 1? If you are, the solution should seem fairly obvious in both instances.
  8. Jan 13, 2009 #7
    At this point I have:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = (\frac{sin^{2}x}{cos^{2}x})(\frac{sin^{2}x}{1}}) [/tex]

I know that identity, but I can't see how it can be used on either side.

I'm sorry for my complete lack of ability to grasp this.
  9. Jan 13, 2009 #8

Gold Member

If you know that identity then you surely know 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 or similarly that sec(x)^2 - 1 = tan(x)^2.
  10. Jan 13, 2009 #9
    Just realized this:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = \frac{sin^{2}x(sin^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

which turns into

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (1 -cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}} = \frac{sin^{2}x(1-cos^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}[/tex]

Did I do anything incorrect there? And thank you very much for your help.
  11. Jan 13, 2009 #10

Gold Member

Nothing there is incorrect - in fact that result should tell you something - but you should have made a connection which it appears you have still failed to make. If 1 - cos(x)^2 = sin(x)^2 and we have (1 - cos(x)^2)/cos(x)^2, what substitution can I make to simplify the expression?
  12. Jan 13, 2009 #11
    ------------ = tan(x)^2

Correct? I get confused when this happens though:

[tex]\frac{sin^{2}x (sin^{2}x)}{cos^{2}x}}[/tex]

or does the cos(x)^2 drop?
  13. Jan 13, 2009 #12

Gold Member

The cos(x)^2 term does not drop but is merely factored out essentially in the tan(x)^2 term; hence, your resulting equation should read tan(x)^2 sin(x)^2. Q.E.D.
  14. Jan 13, 2009 #13
    Okay, I understand. Thank you a lot for the great help. :)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?