Calculating tan(arcsin(1/7)) using trigonometric equations

In summary, to calculate tan(arcsin(1/7)), you first find the angle using arcsin(1/7) = v, and then use Pythagoras theorem to find the adjacent side. From there, you can use the formula tanx = o/a to calculate the tangent of the angle.
beborche

Homework Statement

Calculate tan(arcsin(1/7))

Homework Equations

arcsinv = x => sinx = v
sinx = (opposite/hypotenuse) (in a right-angled triangle)
tanx = (opposite/adjacent)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I realize that arcsin(1/7) is an angle. Let's call it v. I also know that arcsin(1/7) => sin(v) = 1/7.

So i try to picture myself a triangle like this:
math_problem.png

After this I'm lost. I'd like to use tanx = o/a, but I only know the value of o. I'm not sure how these kind of problems are solved. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
technically, you only have the shape of the triangle, so it would be more correct to label the sides as 7a and a (where a is some undetermined constant).

From here you can find the other side using a well known theorem about triangles. (I'm sure you know it, maybe you've forgotten). And then once you have the other side, you can find tan.

@BruceW

Thanks man. I knew I could just hit arcsin(1/7) in on my calculator to find the angle and then from there find the adjacent side, but we're not allowed to use the calculator.

But then I realized you meant Pythagoras theorem, which I ofcourse didnt think about...

Thanks again! I think I solved it (got no key/solutions so can't check it). I got the answer:
tan(arcsin(1/7)) = tan(v) = 1(4sqrt(3))

[tex] \tan\arcsin x = \frac{\sin \arcsin x}{\cos \arcsin x} = \frac{x}{\sqrt{1-x^2}} [/tex]

beborche said:
@BruceW

Thanks man. I knew I could just hit arcsin(1/7) in on my calculator to find the angle and then from there find the adjacent side, but we're not allowed to use the calculator.

But then I realized you meant Pythagoras theorem, which I ofcourse didnt think about...

Thanks again! I think I solved it (got no key/solutions so can't check it). I got the answer:
tan(arcsin(1/7)) = tan(v) = 1(4sqrt(3))

Yes, Pythagoras, that's the one. And you meant 1/(4sqrt(3)), right?

And P.S. dextercioby has written the same method, but all in one step.

Alright. Yes i meant 1/(4sqrt(3)).

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving right triangles and has many practical applications in fields such as engineering, architecture, and astronomy.

What are the three main trigonometric functions?

The three main trigonometric functions are sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions relate the ratios of the sides of a right triangle to its angles. Sine is the ratio of the opposite side to the hypotenuse, cosine is the ratio of the adjacent side to the hypotenuse, and tangent is the ratio of the opposite side to the adjacent side.

How do I use trigonometry to solve problems?

To solve a problem using trigonometry, you first need to identify the given information and what you are trying to find. Then, you can use the appropriate trigonometric function and the given information to set up an equation and solve for the missing value. It is important to remember to use the correct trigonometric function based on the given information.

What is the unit circle and how is it related to trigonometry?

The unit circle is a circle with a radius of 1 unit that is centered at the origin of a coordinate plane. In trigonometry, it is used to define the values of the trigonometric functions for any angle. The x-coordinate of a point on the unit circle represents the cosine value and the y-coordinate represents the sine value for that angle.

What is the difference between radians and degrees in trigonometry?

Radians and degrees are two different units of measuring angles. Degrees are based on dividing a circle into 360 equal parts, while radians are based on dividing a circle into 2π (approximately 6.28) equal parts. In trigonometry, radians are often preferred as they make calculations and formulas simpler.