1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Substitution

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{e^{3x}dx}{\sqrt{1-e^{2x}}}[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright so I am able to do other similar problems fine, I think it is the "e" that is throwing me off as well as the fact that the "x" is in the exponent. I started the problem as so...

sin[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=[tex]\frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}}{\sqrt{1}}[/tex]

cos[tex]\vartheta[/tex]d[tex]\vartheta[/tex]=[tex]\frac{e^{\sqrt{x}}dx}{\sqrt{1}}[/tex]

Am I off to the right start and if so can I have some helpful hints as what to do next? Thanks guys.

By the way, those symbols next to Sin & Cos are Theta, I am still learning how to use this forum, sorry.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    I think you should have sin(theta) = e^x, cos(theta) =sqrt(1-e^2x). Remember that for any n, (e^nx) =(e^x)^n

4. Oct 10, 2008 #3
    Re-write it.

[tex]\int\frac{(e^x)^3dx}{\sqrt{1-(e^x)^2}}[/tex]

[tex]e^x=\sin xdx[/tex]

Take the natural log, then it's derivative.

5. Oct 10, 2008 #4
    Alright so taking your advice I set sin(theta) to e^x dx, and cos(theta) to sqrt(1-e^2x). That then gave me sin^3(theta)/cos((theta). I set u=sin(theta)d(theta) and du=cos(theta) which gave me u^3du^-1. That then became u^2/2 which is sin^2/2. My final answer U then got from that was e^2x/2 + c. Does that sound correct, if not please advise me and I am sorry for misunderstanding your help.

6. Oct 10, 2008 #5
    Looks wrong.

7. Oct 10, 2008 #6
    You cannot have a du in the denominator. Think about what this would means in terms of the Riemann sum and you'll see that it doesn't make any sense. Instead, consider an expansion of sin(x)³. That is

[tex] \frac{sin^3(x)}{cos(x)} = sin(x) \frac{1-cos^2(x)}{cos(x)} = tan(x) - sin(x)cos(x) [/tex] You can integrate this.

8. Oct 10, 2008 #7
    I am trying to set up a triangle for visual aid, is the following correct...

sin=e^x
    cos=sqrt(1-e^2x)
    tan= (e^x)/(sqrt(1-e^2x)

Thanks guys, greatly appreciated.

9. Oct 10, 2008 #8
    Yes, those are correct, though you're missing a bracket in tan

10. Oct 10, 2008 #9
    Thanks, i'll try to take it from here but I don't think there is too much left to do.

11. Oct 10, 2008 #10
    I didn't read all the way back,and that was my mistake, but did you remember to substitute for dx in the integral as well?

If [itex] e^x = \sin\theta [/itex] then [itex] e^x dx = \cos\theta d\theta [/itex] which implies that [itex] dx = \mathrm{cot}\theta d\theta [/itex]. That should actually make the integral quite easy

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?