How do you simplify the integral after trigonometric substitution?

In summary, the conversation is about a tricky trig substitution question involving integrating e^x * √(1+e^2x) dx. The person asking the question has tried various methods such as integrating by parts, but is now seeking help on how to get from the trig substitution step to the final step of the integral. They have not yet tried using the ordinary substitution u = e^x, which may be a simpler approach. The expert advises trying simpler techniques before using more complicated ones.
nweis84
I’ve got this tricky trig substitution that I’ve been trying to do as for my Calc II class. I think that I’ve done the substitution part right I just have no idea where to go from here. I’ve tried many routes including integrating by parts as well.

Please help me thank you

1.) Original question = ∫e^x * √(1+e^2x ) dx

2.) after trig substitution = ∫tanθ *[sec〗^3 θdθ

I have looked at another source for help with I believe an identical question and it integrates this and it gives me

3.) (〖sec〗^3 θ)/3 + C

So I guess all I’m really asking is how they got from step two to step three.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try the ordinary substitution u = e^x?
This gives du = e^x dx, so the integral becomes
[itex]\int \sqrt{1 + u^2} du[/itex]

This integral can be evaluated using a trig substitution.

no I've not tried that one yet thank you!

Always try the simplest techniques first before tackling an integral with the more complicated techniques like trig substitution, or integration by parts, or partial fractions. If an ordinary substitution doesn't work, at least you haven't wasted much time.

What is trigonometric substitution?

Trigonometric substitution is a technique used in integral calculus to simplify integrals involving radical expressions or expressions containing trigonometric functions. It involves replacing a variable in the integral with a trigonometric function and using trigonometric identities to solve the integral.

When should trigonometric substitution be used?

Trigonometric substitution is most useful when the integrand contains a radical expression or a combination of trigonometric functions, such as sine, cosine, or tangent.

What are the three types of trigonometric substitutions?

The three types of trigonometric substitutions are:
1. Sine substitution: used when the integrand contains a square root of the form $\sqrt{a^2-x^2}$
2. Cosine substitution: used when the integrand contains a square root of the form $\sqrt{a^2+x^2}$
3. Tangent substitution: used when the integrand contains a square root of the form $\sqrt{x^2-a^2}$ or when it is of the form $\sqrt{a^2-x^2}$ multiplied by a constant.

What are the common trigonometric identities used in trigonometric substitution?

Some common trigonometric identities used in trigonometric substitution include:
1. $\sin^2x + \cos^2x = 1$
2. $\tan^2x + 1 = \sec^2x$
3. $\sin^2x = \frac{1-\cos2x}{2}$
4. $\cos^2x = \frac{1+\cos2x}{2}$
5. $\tan^2x = \sec^2x - 1$
6. $\sin^2x = \frac{1-\cos2x}{2}$
7. $\cos^2x = \frac{1+\cos2x}{2}$

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using trigonometric substitution include:
1. Forgetting to substitute the original variable back into the final answer
2. Forgetting to use the appropriate trigonometric identity for the given substitution
3. Not simplifying the integrand before substituting
4. Forgetting to use the proper limits of integration after substitution
5. Making algebraic errors in simplifying the integral
6. Incorrectly choosing the type of trigonometric substitution to use for a given integral.