1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric substitution

1. Feb 7, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

evaluate the definite integral ∫(0 to 3) dx/sqrt(25+x^2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I first used substitution and set x=5tanθ, and dx=5tanθsecθdθ

then i wrote the integral as 5∫ tanθsecθdθ/sqrt(25(1+tan^2(θ))

after some simplification i got

∫tanθsecθdθ/secθ = ∫tanθ =tanθsecθ

I then used θ=arctan(x/5) from the original x substitution and my final solution looked like this

tan(arctan(3/5))sec(arctan(3/5))-tan(arctan(0))sec(arctan(0))

It is incorrect, can anyone let me know where i might have done something incorrectly? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2013 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

if x=5 tan(theta) then isn't dx=5sec^2(theta) dtheta

4. Feb 8, 2013 #3
    oh you're right, but after solving the integral i still end up with tanθsecθ.. Unless i am doing something wrong in finding my θ values for x=3 and x=0?

5. Feb 8, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, you don't get tanθsecθ. And the integral of tanθ isn't even tanθsecθ. What are you doing?

6. Feb 8, 2013 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you use your substitution to find [itex]\displaystyle \ \int \frac{dx}{\sqrt{25+x*2}}\,,\ [/itex] you get [itex]\displaystyle \ \int\sec(\theta)\,d\theta\ .[/itex]

The anti-derivative of sec(θ) is not tan(θ)sec(θ) . The derivative of sec(θ) is tan(θ)sec(θ) . You seem to have these confused.

A better substitution uses the hyperbolic sine, x = sinh(u) .

7. Feb 8, 2013 #6
    oh right thanks, i used ∫secx=ln(secx+tanx) and it worked. Just a question about the hyperbolic sine, would you mind explaining it a bit to me or linking me to a good place that explains it? I don't think ive been taught it yet but one of the listed possible solutions has arccosh in it, and im curious as to what exactly it is

8. Feb 8, 2013 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook