1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Trigonometric Substitution

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    [tex]\int x^3\sqrt{4-9x^2}dx[/tex]

I tried to use [tex]x=\frac{2}{3}\cos{(x)}[/tex] but it just left me with [tex]\int \sin^3{(x)}\cos^2{(x)}dx[/tex]

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's the oher way around.U missed a numerical factor (containing an essential minus)...U need to substitute

[tex] x=\frac{2}{3}\sin u [/tex]

to get the powers of sine & cosine that u have there.U'd still miss the numerical factor and but at least you'd have gotten rid of the "-"...

Let's assume this one (it's your transformed integral up to a numerical factor).

[tex] \int \sin^{3}u \cos^{2} u \ du [/tex]...

Use the fundamental identity of circular trigonometry to write it

[tex]\int \sin^{3}u \ du -\int \sin^{5}u \ du [/tex]

The first can be written as

[tex]-\int (1-\cos^{2}u) \ d(\cos u) [/tex]

The second (the integral,without the "-" preceding it).

[tex] -\int \left(1-\cos^{2}u\right)^{2} \ d(\cos u) [/tex]

,which are very easy to integrate...

Daniel.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    [tex]\int{\sin^3{\theta}}d\theta - \int{\sin^5{\theta}}d\theta[/tex]

I know how to integrate the first, but the second I am having a bit more trouble with.

Is this true?: [tex]\int{\sin^5{\theta}}d\theta = -\int{(1-\cos{\theta})^2}d\cos{\theta}[/tex]

Thanks again.

5. Apr 7, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I told u what it is equal to.

[tex] \int \sin^{5}x \ dx=-\int \left(1-\cos^{2}x\right)^{2} d(\cos x) [/tex]

Daniel.

6. Apr 7, 2005 #5
    I'm sorry, what I meant was:

What is the best way to integrate it? I haven't seen one with the square before, so I'm not sure...

Thanks for your help.

7. Apr 7, 2005 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are going to use "trigonometric substitution" you should learn to integrate trig functions first! :smile:

Any time you have a an odd power of sin or cos, factor out one of then to go with the "dx", then convert the even power using sin2x+ cos2x= 1.

For example, seeing [tex]\int sin^5 x dx[/tex], I thinkof it as [tex]\int sin^4 x (sin x dx)= \int (sin^2 x)^2 (sin x dx)= \int (1- cos^2 x)(sin x dx)[/tex]. Now let u= cos(x) so that du= -sin x dx and that becomes [tex]\int (1-u^2)^2 du[/tex].

If you have only even powers of sin and cos, you can't do that- you have to use the trig identities [tex] cos^2(x)= \frac{1}{2}[1+ cos(2x)] [/tex] and [tex]sin^2(x)= \frac{1}{2}[1- cos(2x)][/tex] to reduce the powers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?